Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking my 1995 Goldwing trike to my Honda dealer for service. I want them to change the antifreeze, change the thermostat(I will provide the new one), replace the temp sensing unit (they will provide) , and check to be sure the radiator fans are working properly.

How much should all this cost me?

Thanks,

Bob

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
Hard to say in money terms Bob. It's about 3-4 hours labour involved, which should give you something to work on. How much have they quoted you?

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
First, are you sure that dealer is capable of working on a trike? Many aren't!
Secondly, always ask for a price before agreeing to having the work performed.
Also, I am surprised a dealership would agree to install a part not purchased there!

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Ask questions...when I asked about cost on a valve check on my 1800 I was told it should take about 2 hours worth of labour but if I had highway pegs it will cost more if they have to remove them so I should take them off before bringing it in

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Most dealers are going to charge you between $60.00 and $90.00 an hour, and the job is going to take them at least three hours. Better yet do it yourself, it might take you longer but well worth the education.

Also most dealers will refuse to work on any bike that is older than 10 years.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Are you having heating problems? If not why change the thermostat? My '93 had over almost 180,000 miles on it with it's original theremostat. Thermostats don't normally fail often and when they do it's just as likely a new one will as much as an old one would.
Changing anti-freeze is a simple enough job that could save you $75-100 to do it yourself. A dealer is going to charge plenty for the anti-freeze and claim at least a half hour's labor to change it. All it amounts to is pulling a plug and draining the stuff then putting the plug back in and replace the anti-freeze. If you're anal about it you can do the intermediary step of filling the system with water, starting the engine and running it for a minute or so and then dumping the water to flush the system. It's really not necessary if the old coolant looks clean when it comes out. I'd estimate you'd be lucky to get away from a dealer after a thermostat, sensor and coolant change for much less than a $500 bill.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I am taking my 1995 Goldwing trike to my Honda dealer for service. I want them to change the antifreeze, change the thermostat(I will provide the new one), replace the temp sensing unit (they will provide) , and check to be sure the radiator fans are working properly.

How much should all this cost me?

Thanks,

Bob
Allow me to concisely answer the question you asked.

$500 is my estimate.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
And to test your fans, run it at idle and allow the temp to creep up. I believe the fans will turn on before 3/4 of the guage. They should shut off around 1/2. If they do, they should be fine if you don't see any broken plastic.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...I want them to change the antifreeze, change the thermostat(I will provide the new one), replace the temp sensing unit (they will provide) , and check to be sure the radiator fans are working properly...
You can do most of that yourself, quite easily: antifreeze, change temp sensing unit, and check fans

Changing the Thermostat is more difficult, and probably does not have to be done at all... Certainly don't do it without first doing the above items first, in order to see if that already solves the problem.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I agree with about every comment above. Unless you have zero familiarity with tools, why not bond with your Goldwing? Why not learn how to work on them? NO ONE will care for your Wing like YOU.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
The thing to remember when you have a shop install parts you bring to them: If the part is found to be defective or fails shortly after the install, YOU pay additional labor to have it swapped back out. If you get the part from them, THEY eat the added labor cost. How much money did you save if you have to do that? (unless you got it from them planning on doing it yourself, and then decided to have them install it; in that case bring your recipt)

Any yes, I have had new bad parts, including one or two t-stats (car).

Bill

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I try to repair whatever I can do myself. IF I have to take the bike in, I remove ALL tupperware and chrome and lights BEFORE I take the bike in and leave them at home. Dealers have little patience removing and replacing accesories. Could save you added labour costs as well. I have seen where they remove chrome goodies and lay them shiny side down on the floor, then deny causing any scratches to said goodies. No respect.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
This site is devoted to helping folks to do it themselves, just ask and I'm sure guys would be more than happy to walk you thru anything you need no matter how simple the task may be or difficult....

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
With me not being a mechanic, I used to trust the dealer exclusively. I have learned over about 40 years, that things have changed. I have gotten burned almost every time I have relied on a dealer to do repairs. Overcharged, broken tupperware pins, scratches, and one place sent me down the road with the rear brake guts floating around loose inside the left rear brake drum! (trike). If there is any chance you can buy a good manual for your bike and do this stuff yourself, you will save a bunch of money. Otherwise it is a crapshoot. Super maticulous shops are 1-2 hundred bucks an hour, and still they make mistakes. Do you have an overheat problem? If not, why change out the thermostat? That part is usually the last part to fail on a cooling system, if you have kept the coolant clean. The shop tips here have helped me do ALL my maintanance, and it was usually kinda fun. Good luck with it, jimsjinx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.