Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Reyno
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am just after a bit of advice on servicing costs. I have gone through the forum as best I can and have found heaps of DIY instructions, but just wondering what the standard service costs for a GL1500.

I am impressed with the instructions, but it seems everything does take time and can be fairly difficult. I have rudimentary motorcycle mechanics 101, and have just returned from a 4 week trip (on my current bike ----Suzuki V-Strom 650) and can pretty much handle any issues with that bike, but the Goldwing is a whole new kettle of fish.

Cheers

Reyno.:blackstuff:

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Its just suck, push, bang & blow like any other 4-cycle bike. Get a shop manual and read through the instructions you find here. Keep up on maintenance yourself and I bet you'll be digging deeper into the bike in no time. It looks intimidating when what you see a bike. Try to look at it as a cluster of parts flying in tight formation. Individually, the parts aren't so scary.

Shop rates can be pretty high and you'll find the things you need done are the same things others need done. That means you'll wait in line when you could have fixed it yourself and be out riding.

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome REYNO . I am sorry that I cant advise as to cost of servicing your 1500 . I am fortunate to all my own . That said I will tell you moving up from an1100 to the 1500 ...it was intimidating to attack all the plastic . Once you can sort through the how to remove plastic , the work is mostly common to any other bike . If your mechanically inclined and can read the tutorials here its not to bad . Read work , get stumped and come back to read again . After the first time your more comfortable and it gets easier and faster . In the end you save a bundle and feel a great accomplishment . Best of luck to you . We are here if you need us .

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

When I had my 1200, the most intimidating thing to me was removing the fairing. I avoided it at all costs. Until I wanted to replace my steering head bearings.

The funny thing is, you can replace the bearings without removing the fairing. But I was having a heck of a time, so I finally decided to bite the bullet and remove the faring. It turned out to be reallly easy.

A lot of jobs were like that. They seemed worse than they really were.

On the 1500, all the plastic seemed to be tough too. Actually it isn't so bad. But the first time I had a friend show me how to do it.

The worst part of it is that there are so many pieces to remove that it adds time to any job. None of it is hard,but you can add half an hour to an hour to any job just because of the number of parts. Oh, and you have to find a safe place in the garage to put all those parts so that you don't step on anything.

Really, once you do it, it's not so bad.

But of course, that means that if you choose to have a professional mechanic do the work, it's going to add time to any job also.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Reyno! I'm afraid I can't help you with the service costs either since I do all my own service, but I will echo what's already been said. If you can service your Strom yourself then you should be able to service your Wing yourself too. Just more plastic to deal with. If you really want to pay someone to do your service then you could just call some shops in your area and ask what they charge. Personally I'd personally rather save that money spent on someone else doing it and put it towards gas money for riding. :action:

BTW and for what it's worth, I was also a bit intimidated by the thought of servicing my bike when I bought my first Wing but found that worry was for naught. :waving:

John

·
Reyno
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks very much for the advice so far. I have watched hundreds (well a few anyway) videos on this site and you tube about servicing a 1500. I reckon I will be capable of giving it a GO.

as everyone has alluded to, it's a simple bike in a complex wrapping. It's just a matter of not tearing the wrapping to get at the good stuff inside.

Reyno.

:doh:

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Reyno, while I can't help with your question, I would like to offer this suggestion. See if you can locate someone, either through here or elsewhere, that will get together with you and assist and teach you the finer points of the wing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.