Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is the signal switch on the 84 GL serviceable? Could I get away with takingapart the switch, cleaning with electronic cleaner, then applying dialectric grease? Just wondering if any of you guys have done it? I would be nice If I didn't have to chase down a used one.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
imported post

MilkMoney wrote:
Is the signal switch on the 84 GL serviceable? Could I get away with takingapart the switch, cleaning with electronic cleaner, then applying dialectric grease? Just wondering if any of you guys have done it? I would be nice If I didn't have to chase down a used one.
Try spraying cleaner in switch first you may not have to take apart.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

the spray electrical cleaner from RadioShack is very good................cleaned up all my switches on my '86 very nice.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thx guys.. I got some of the RS stuff too. I will give it a try

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
imported post

MilkMoney,

I had to chase down an intermittent contact problem in the turn signal switch on my ’87 Aspencade not long ago, so this is all fresh in my mind.

My experience is that you cannot successfully clean the handlebar turn signal switch assembly on a GL1200 without taking it completely apart.

You can try spraying WD-40 and then contact cleaner into it from the outside, but that just never gets down to where the real dirt and the real problem is!

There is a small black plastic contact block (about 3/4inch square ) buried in the very bottom of the switch housing that contains about six or eight contacts. Over the years, this contact block gets so gummed up, and the contacts so dirty, that it will just not make a good electrical connection anymore.

Once completely apart, spray that contact block with a ton of WD-40 to first get all the dirt out. Then follow up with contact cleaner to remove the oxidization from the contacts themselves. Get some DeoxIt if you can find it. That stuff is the best. Then spray with WD-40 again before reassembly to help keep the moisture out. Use some dielectric grease before reassembly if you want.

You can try spraying without disassembly, but until you get to that contact block on the bottom and thoroughly clean it, you are not going to get it permanently fixed.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

You have to fix it (or find used one) as NOS stuff is about impossible to find.

Probably just a little corrosion after 25 years.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

WingMan71 wrote:
MilkMoney,

I had to chase down an intermittent contact problem in the turn signal switch on my ’87 Aspencade not long ago, so this is all fresh in my mind.

My experience is that you cannot successfully clean the handlebar turn signal switch assembly on a GL1200 without taking it completely apart.

You can try spraying WD-40 and then contact cleaner into it from the outside, but that just never gets down to where the real dirt and the real problem is!

There is a small black plastic contact block (about 3/4inch square ) buried in the very bottom of the switch housing that contains about six or eight contacts. Over the years, this contact block gets so gummed up, and the contacts so dirty, that it will just not make a good electrical connection anymore.

Once completely apart, spray that contact block with a ton of WD-40 to first get all the dirt out. Then follow up with contact cleaner to remove the oxidization from the contacts themselves. Get some DeoxIt if you can find it. That stuff is the best. Then spray with WD-40 again before reassembly to help keep the moisture out. Use some dielectric grease before reassembly if you want.

You can try spraying without disassembly, but until you get to that contact block on the bottom and thoroughly clean it, you are not going to get it permanently fixed.

Good luck.
Ok thx.. LOL My list grows as the days go by.. Its all good!! I wanted a project bike, and I got one. Everything should be up to PAR by the middle of March. :)

A special thanks to the Brother who wrote the DIY T-B replacement. Excellent quality photos :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.