Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read the book looked at some discussions on this and want to get it right. I rebuilt my carbs, cleaned em new accelerator pump, air cut off valves. Didnt see adjusting the floats till after i put em on started up and the number 2 cylinder was being drowned! Do i set it till the tang on the float touches the pin on the float needle and use the .610 measurement fromvthe body to rop of float.

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
Yes, with the tang just resting on the pin, not compressing the spring.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, with the tang just resting on the pin, not compressing the spring.
Thats what i thoughtand then the .610" to the float arm from body of carb. One of my float needles the tip pin is stuck think i need new ones. But after rebuild the #2 cylinder was flooded with gas. So everything says the float level

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thats what i thoughtand then the .610" to the float arm from body of carb. One of my float needles the tip pin is stuck think i need new ones. But after rebuild the #2 cylinder was flooded with gas. So everything says the float level
Boy, did I have a hard time convincing a friend to replace those because they were stuck.

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boy, did I have a hard time convincing a friend to replace those because they were stuck.
So replace em pin needs to be free?like the others, weird part is not on the carb that i thought i had a float issue

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
863 Posts
With a few sprays of carb cleaner and a pair of tweezers you may be able to free up the little pin. It is spring loaded inside....

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
With a few sprays of carb cleaner and a pair of tweezers you may be able to free up the little pin. It is spring loaded inside....
I have freed several of them. A little soak in carb cleaner and they usually pop loose.

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
I tried that got new on order now
If you didn't order OEM Honda Kehein parts you may regret it. Aftermarket ones don't usually seal off.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
Harbor Freight has an Ultrasonic Cleaner big enough for carbs....

does a great job with Simple Green, Dawn, etc..... don't think I would put carb cleaner in it, probably eat up the internals on the cleaner.

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have freed several of them. A little soak in carb cleaner and they usually pop loose.
I cleaned it in carb cleaner but no soaking though, ive got new ones coming just wondering about the floats. The #2 cylinder flooded first run rest seemed good

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
Harbor Freight has an Ultrasonic Cleaner big enough for carbs....

does a great job with Simple Green, Dawn, etc..... don't think I would put carb cleaner in it, probably eat up the internals on the cleaner.

If it is a stainless steel tank it won't hurt it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I cleaned it in carb cleaner but no soaking though, ive got new ones coming just wondering about the floats. The #2 cylinder flooded first run rest seemed good
New ones will be, peace of mind. I also could not free up the spring loaded pin for the float needle. I believe rust got to it/them.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Actually watched a youtube vid today and the guy used carb dip in his cleaner.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
Actually watched a youtube vid today and the guy used carb dip in his cleaner.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk
I just had to go look at mine, it came from Harbor Freight.... it is fairly small compared to the Industrial one I used to have.... that one held two gallons of water & soap.

anyway, mine has a Stainless Steel vat in it, along with some plastic baskets to hold delicate things off the bottom... Wrist watches, eyeglasses, trinkets, bracelets, women's jewelry, etc.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I’ve got the same HF one. But wouldn’t use carb cleaner in it, the water base detergent is the magic for emulsifying the deposits in the tiny passages. Keihen carbs respond nicely to the simple green/water combo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts