Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi all the tick over on my bike has droped from around 950 down to 740- 820 can i

ajust the idle if so how

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

You may want to check the basics before you adjust the idle speed. You could just be covering up a bigger problem. Make sure you got 4 good plugs and that the carbs are clean.

Maybe run an additive through the gas and see if that helps.

Is the engine warming up fully?

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

full opperational tem is reached as i travel 30mile each way to work

its a fuel injection model good plugs as they are only 2months old but will check them at weekend to be surei might change the fuel filter not sure if it has points in it or if its electronic ignition?

thanks for the help thowe

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Back to basics...Good start..

The carbs on the GL1200 need to be sync balanced prior to setting the curb idle. Perform the quick / easyinspections first.. Plugs cleaned and gapped, fuel filter, air filter clean,(I found a rodents nest inthe air filter boxduring theearly fall on a GL1500 last year). Also inspect for vacuum leaks which would give a lean mixture causing the idle to become irratic. Is the fuel clean? An additive is an excellent idea to freshen the fuel. Last but not least, what weight oil is in the engine? Heavier oil will cause a slow start and low running rpm this time of year until it obtains operating temperature... AFTER all is said and done, it may be time to look deeper into the engine timing, pilot screw settings, timing belts etc..Good luck.. Welcome to the club! :clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Didn't see the "fuel injected" note... That's a different perspective.. What's the year and model of the bike and how many miles on it?

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

If you have new plugs in already then why not just turn the idle secrew in and bring the idle up. This time of year can see the tickover drop with the cold anyway and you need to compensate for that.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

1986(B)

42thousand miles

i gave it oil & filter change plugs as well all was well untill the cold weather started

and then the idle started to drop down i have allread put cleaner in fuel just before i did the plugs and oil then i did it again after i did the work

could be just the cold weather i am waiting for the workshop manual i ordered to come

thanks for any help

Danny

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

Danny, are you just unsure of how to adjust the idle? If so, just look in from the right side rear of the engine and you will see a big screw with a slot in it. Thats the idle adjuster.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

:Xhi my neigbour just brought the workshop manual

i had not used the bike for a little while when i went to star it the battery was flat

so i thought i know i use my 12volt booster i could kick myself now

i just glanced through it and at the back it say's not to conect a battery charger to it

my bike is an GL1200 LTD

1986 FUEL INJECTION now do you think i have done any damage to it or is it a

coincidence that the idle as slowed because of the cold it seems to run fine

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

What weight oil did you put in the engine when you changed it?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

If you blew something with the charger then you would know, ie the bike won't start or will only run on 2 cylinders or something disastrous along those lines. Why not just bring up the idle as suggested and see how it runs. It's the quickest way to test it and you may be fretting about nothing.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

I agree with Ted. No point in thinking about other areas until you have done the simple job of upping the idle with the screw. If it doesn't stay up then its time to look further. Always do the simple things first. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.