Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Do you guys know where i can find the right information to adjust my suspension so thati can carry some gear and a passenger? Im trying to prepare for an epic journey in september.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

You didn't say which bike you have.

It should be in your owner's manual. If not, and it's bottoming out increasethe spring pressurevia therotatable sleeveand/or increase the pressure.

Remember to also set the tire pressure for the added load... that's also in the owner's manual.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Most of us generally adjust the suspension so it doesn't bottom out when loaded up. That generally means adjusting to the highest setting.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
Most of us generally adjust the suspension so it doesn't bottom out when loaded up. That generally means adjusting to the highest setting.
Yep, that's my technique too. Mine will be different than most since I have 416s with heavy springs on the back and Progressive springs in the fork, I use 55psi on the rear and 0 in frontwith the woman who hangs around here and I on board. That amounts to a little more than the recommended maximum GVW. We don't bottom outand the bike handles fine as frog hair.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hey so me and my roommate are a little higher thant eh max weight, but we drove around today and seemed to have no problems. If we pakced light, are we going to kill ourselves?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If the bike doesn't bottom out and doesn't handle weirdly, it's probably okay, I wouldn't want to tow a trailer on top of that though. When travelling keep in mind the braking distance and cornering are going to be a bit compromised so ride accordingly.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I'm sure I read of a "proper" way to set it up before on this forum but I can't find it now. My way is to load teh bike up with the passenger and kit and then adjust the suspension up until the back of the wing is about the same height that it was when I was riding solo just before I loaded it up.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
imported post

I don't remember where I read it, but I remember a general rule of thumb being 1 LB of air for each 10 LBS of GVW. I have Progressive 416's on my GL1500, and that seems to work for me.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
I'm sure I read of a "proper" way to set it up before on this forum but I can't find it now. My way is to load teh bike up with the passenger and kit and then adjust the suspension up until the back of the wing is about the same height that it was when I was riding solo just before I loaded it up.
According to the instructions that came with my Progressive 416s which probably will be different than OEM shocks, the drill is to put the bike on the center stand and measure the distance from the rear axle to the bike frame. Then take the bike off the stand load it up with rider, passenger, gear and remeasure. The drop should be 1-1.5", adjust the air pressure to reach this measurement. Max pressure with 416s is 100psi but pressure over 70psi will decrease shock life. Progressive says 10psi for each 50lbs of additional weight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.