Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello fellas,

I did a no no today... I took the points out of my Wing... 1979 Goldwing GL1000. I had a set of replacement points to put in and I figured it can't be all that difficult to put them back in the same way they came out. I was very wrong... got both back in fine... now I am having trouble adjusting them to get good ignition. I understand that 1 set should be open, then the other should be closed at that time, and vice versa...

Does anyone have any information on how to do this properly? I unfortunately have not recieved my copy of the Haynes manual I have placed on order yet...

Are there any places on the internet with detailed description and/or pictures of how to do this?

thanks for any help you can offer...

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

You adjust the points that currently have the plactic heel sitting on the peak of the cam. Then turn the engine until the second set is sitting the same way and adjust them.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thank you very much, i went out and tinkered with it before checking this, and I got an awsome outcome from that...

It was taking anywhere from 2-5 seconds to get the wing to fire up... now it is instantaneous... I hit the start button and she cranks over with lots of fire to her...

I took her for a test ride afterwards and just as I was pulling back into the driveway...thank god!!! The throttle cable snapped. So I am docked for the weekend or until I can hunt down a throttle cable...

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I have 3 pages scanned, showing point adjustment and timing marks. The files are too big to post. If I reduce them enough to post, they probably won't be readable. If anyone needs them, PM me with your e-mail address.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.