Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I need some technical support in diagnosing a problem with my '77 GL-1000. When I ride it, I get a severe pumping out of the front end. At first, I thought that the front wheel was out of balance. So I removed it and the rotors, replaced them with a totally different wheel and set of rotors. No change. I then removed the front calipers and rode the bike. No change. I then removed the rear wheel and rebalanced it. No change. I am running out of ideas. I sure would appreciate a steer in the right direction.

Any thought or ideas will be deeply appreciated.

Enjoy the Holiday weekend!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey dasBike :leprechaun: Welcome to the greatest Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper: Some of the experts will come along shortly :weightlifter:and help you with your problem. :jumper:

:byebye::18red::byebye:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

dasBike wrote:
When I ride it, I get a severe pumping out of the front end.
dasBike, what do you mean by the term "severe pumping"?

What speed does it appear at?

You mentioned front rotors & rim? Did you also try a different tire?

You might have a front fork tube locking up, or too much oil in the forks, or a failed valve in the fork valving. Without more information on exactly when (speed) your problem appears & exactly what it is doing we can't really help you nail your problem down.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Low speeds, Twisty, between 15 and 50 mph. The tire, wheel and rotors have all been changed. No differents. As I stated in my posting, the pumping is like what you would feel if the front wheel was badly out of balance.

I wonder if the triple clamp bearings went bad, if this situation would occur?

das

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

It sounds like a bad case of stiction. Check to see if your forks are sliding up and down on the small bumps. If not, the bike will rock up and down as if it were on solid suspension. Nice to see that you ride. We've emailed a few times.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

dasBike wrote:
Low speeds, Twisty, between 15 and 50 mph. The tire, wheel and rotors have all been changed. No differents. As I stated in my posting, the pumping is like what you would feel if the front wheel was badly out of balance.

I wonder if the triple clamp bearings went bad, if this situation would occur?
Das, that helps a little. Does the pumping seem to be once per revolution of the front tire? OR, more in relation to hitting bumps in the road?

Does the pumping get faster the faster you go or does the pumping stay about the same regardless of a speed increase? Keep in mind the bumps in the road come up faster as the road speedincreases.

Does the problem get better on very smooth roads?

Somehow we have to determine if your problem is rotationally induced or road input induced.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Lack of fork oil would do this... there's no dampening without fork oil.Without dampening your forks could act like a pogo stick.

Also make sure your front tire pressure is at the recommended 28 PSI. Too much pressure can cause bouncing that will overwhelm the suspension.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Wonder if you twisted the fork tubes, i.e. the front wheel not tracking straight, kind of scrubbing along.

You've already eliminated everything to do with imbalance, ply separation, etc with the wheel and tire.

If the damping is in question, it should be a problem at all speeds, not just low speeds.

Does the "pumping" stop at higher speeds.

Was there anything that happened just before the problem started, bump something, bike tip over in a parking lot, wife hit the bike in the garage with her car.

Need more info.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey dasBike :waving: Now you have got a number of solutions, :clapper:i hope one of these will work for you. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hey Dasbike, I'm having a little trouble with the problem. Can you describe the 'pumping' action a little differently? It is a vertical motion or a horizontal oscillation? Is it more like a car with worn out shocks, i.e. it bounces up and down several times after hitting a bump? How does it relate to speed, does the pumping rate change in relation to your speed? It would go a long way to considering this problem if you could expand on your problem. Diagnostics via keyboard is a bit slow?

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I just changed the fork oil, thinking that the problem may have been there. Not!

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks, Dadoo, good to hear from you. Any suggestion on how to fix "stiction"?

das

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

It doesn’t seem to be relative tire revolution or induced by the road surface, Twisty. The pumping starts at about 20 mph and persists up to about 50 mph. Above 50 mph it is gone.

das

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Could well be lack of oil. At higher speeds airpressure on the bike might reduce it.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Tonys96:

The pumping starts at about 20 mph and persists up to about 50 mph. Above 50 mph it is gone.

das

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Paul W.:

It is in fact vertical action. Almost like riding over a series of small speed bumps. No, it isn’t like bad auto shocks. The situation will begin about 20 mph and leave around 50 mph. and may be evident for 15 to 20 seconds and then go away for about the same amount of time – then come back.

das

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.