Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have just removed the carbs on my gl1200 as it has sat for 3 yrs and they need cleaned, seems the front left cylinder is not firing well and wont idle and have been advised to clean carbs. so after removing them i have noticed that there is a plug type wire on the pipe coming from the radiator which kinda looks like a sensor, anyway the wire coming from it is cut (possible rodent problem) and there is also another similar device coming from behind the rear right cylinder on the top of the engine towards the gear box that wire too is severed. could this be the problem with the engine? or are they just sensors. by just i mean they will obviously need to be fixed!

thanks Ali

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
imported post

definately fix them. get everything back together. start the bike and see if the engine smoothes out and has full power(no misses). the wires in question might be for the cooling(the front one ) and for oil pressure(the one on the engine). check your

repair manual to be sure. good luck

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

i have a clymer but unfortunatly when i had to go out to pick someone up my parrot climbed off his cage and dragged it in with him and.... well he loves to shred paper.... i usually give him the bills but i think he found this more appealing! will see if i can download it again but if anyone knows if they are costly or hard to repair due to my limited funds and no mechanical experience!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

From your description it sounds like the cut wires might be the oil pressure sensor and the coolant temperature sensor. The oil pressure sensor is located at the rear top of the engine on the right side. It has a single wire connection on it's top. If I remember the 1200 correctly the coolant temp sensor is near the thermostat housing on the top front center of the engine, right behind the tin heat shield.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

exavid wrote:
From your description it sounds like the cut wires might be the oil pressure sensor and the coolant temperature sensor. The oil pressure sensor is located at the rear top of the engine on the right side. It has a single wire connection on it's top. If I remember the 1200 correctly the coolant temp sensor is near the thermostat housing on the top front center of the engine, right behind the tin heat shield.
you described it better than me and i can sit and look at it! from what you said were talking about the same thing so does anyone know about how or cost on this fix, i will do some research tomorrow. im guessing that the oil pressure sensor and temp sensor will have no direct affect towards a misfire.

many thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

I have had that happen to me on a couple of old bikes.

Thankfully not on this one yet, But I did find some chewed wires.

The mouse or whatever just took bites out of the insulation, You can see the teeth marks. I retaped the wires for protection and spread some mothballs around and set some in a tin on my seat under the cover.

I also this year took an extra step of placing a couple of saucers of antifreeze under the bench in my shop.

Now be careful if you have dogs or cats as it will kill them too.

But I already have found two dead mice near the trays.

I figure it's My Shop and anything touching MY STUFF when I am not there deserves to DIE.
Works for me, And no arrows involved. :cool:

Mohawk

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

ali wrote:
...from what you said were talking about the same thing so does anyone know about how or cost on this fix, i will do some research tomorrow. im guessing that the oil pressure sensor and temp sensor will have no direct affect towards a misfire.
Shouldn't be difficult to patch the wire back. Just solder and cover with heat shrink tubing. The sensors have no effect on the carbureted 1200s, if you have an '85LTD or '86SEI all bets are off because those may rely on the temp sensor for input to the ECU.

The cause of a misfire is hard to tell without more information such as which cylinder, when it occurs, idle, acceleration, decelleration or whatever. You can get an idea of which cylinder is causing the problem by examining the business end of the spark plugs. The porcelain surrounding the center electrode should be colored a light tan. If one is much whiter than the others it would indicate one carburetor running too lean, if much blacker it would indicate too much fuel coming from the carb.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

its the front left cylinder, the exhaust is cold and when run for a few mins it only gets slightly warm. so its not really a misfire as such more of a non working cylinder! have a look at my other post about severed wires as there is something in there about returning the fuel from the carbs and squirting it out. they think i may have a California model and nobody seems to know what it is i am describing! going to get some pics up tomorrow to show what it is im on about!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The first thing to determine is whether it's ignition or fuel. Since the two front plugs are fired by the same ignition coil odds are, not 100% of course, that it's fuel. Does that plug look wet or blacker than it's left hand mate? You might try unscrewing the float bowl drain on that carb and see if any fuel comes out.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

at the mo i have the carbs off so i cant try that yet. i am going to take a pic in the morning so you can see what it is im talking about. i have my suspicions that its something to do with the tubes coming from the carbs to a slow air valve up top but then again i dont know what im talking about!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.