21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
12,287 Posts

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

CPTMidnight85 pretty much nailed it. Not an issue of which is better........they have their specific applications for which they are better.

A shaft driven offroad bike would be horrible..........unbalanced, and likely very unreliable, plus the suspension travel would suffer.

A belt driven bike would be difficult to repair with the master link and 3 extra links of chain I have attached to my handlebars. But the belt provides a smoother ride for 3x more miles than the chain and you don't have to lube it.

Nice not to have my left boot and pant's leg, as well as that side of the bike covered in flung off chain lube. Of course.......if my shaft drive ever does go......there is no way to jerry rig it to get home........it's pretty much trailer recovery time. If I'm a thousand miles from home, I can go into any bike shop anywhere in the world and get a chain I can make work on a chain drive bike. With the shaft drive...well.......probably going to spend a few days trying to get parts or whatever.......and it'll probably cost me a LOT of money.

And while I like the feel of a hydraulic clutch..........I will always remember certain unmentioned factory riders going from team to team in Baja trying to beg/borrow/steal a hydraulic clutch cable from any body with spares for that particularly branded bike because the factory semi with all their spares hadn't got there yet and they needed to pre run the course. One of their guys discreetly pre ran on another brand of bike because of that.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

If you can find it, read Cousin Jack's (Mels) fun and hysterically funny story, of riding home from Red Lodge Montana to Washington State, with a clutch cable pulled by his ever-suffering partner, Red (Sandy), on the passenger, or pillion, seat.

I think he'd yell "shift" and she'd pull on the clutch cable; try to do THAT, with a hydraulic clutch! :cheeky1::cheeky1:

The fact that I saw him, alive, this summer means that she has forgiven him. Lucky bastage! :cooldevil:

I too, tend to be "old school" although here in the States (or Canada, or Europe, for that matter) if you depart with a well-serviced bike, you'll probably be fine...I think?:action:

I, personally, want a STABLE full of bikes, split 50/50, between shaft and chain...and yeah, I think belt drive sounds pretty good, too, so 40/40/20 maybe? :waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I had to ride my '82 Aspy about ten miles home through traffic with a broken clutch cable. It wasn't easy but as long as you don't actually have to stop not too bad. I did have to stop twice and got it going again by pushing with my feet while cranking with the starter. Worked okay because the clutch lever was all the way out so I could crank the engine with first gear engaged. Clutchless shifting isn't difficult once you get the bike moving.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

The same happened to me some years ago on a GS850. I was only a few miles out though. I Fred Flintstoned it off of two lights, stalling both times. I left it in first and took off that way. I was more embarrassed than anything.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

I like the shaft drive for the ease of maintenance. But the chain, I miss at times as you could change gearing very easily depending on the riding situation.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.