Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This is on the '83 Aspencade gl1100 I have been working on.Topped off the gas tank,zeroed the odometer and took off for what turned out to be an 84 mile round trip ride.A couple of things come to mind for convenience.A throttle rocker would be good.I'll get one tomorrow.A taller windshield.I'll adjust tomorrow or cut my own.I'm still running the Marvel Miracle Oil in the crankcase.Stopped at the dealer today for an oil filter.Out of stock.Try tomorrow.The machine sure seems noisy ...as in theres a lot going on down there.Of course I know there is a lot of wind noise,motor noise and road noise too.It seems to me that the bike should have more to give me.I hit 83 mph at one point.Seemed stable but like I was asking for a lot from the bike.I'm not a real speed guy but 80 on an 1100 ought to be real easy and it should have more too.Seemed like I was pushing it to get up over 80 or so_Of course I have the fairing on and the bags too.I forgot my ear plugs so I stopped at the gun club and picked up a pair for the ride home.What a difference!

Should I go for the OEM filter? or get a Purolator aftermarket replacement?The oil change tomorrow will be to Rotella T 15w40 because I don't know what is in there and thats what I have on hand.I can't afford a filter and the oil at the same time.

Whatdaya'llthingk?Oh yeahI burned a little bit more than half a tank on that 84 miles.So thats something like 2.5~3 gallons per 84 miles so thats 28-33.6 mpg.Not great.Bike has 22500 smiles on it.I'll run out the rest of the tank and do a proper calculation tomorrow.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/9134hi tom i see this filter from cyclemax for $3.50, one tank of gas is not enough to calulate the milage dont forget your bike has been sitting for a long time takes a while for things to settle in again i would go with running it at 50mph for a bit just to get the read on it

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

OK good idea.Got it.thanks

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Run some Seafoam through it, add 1/2 can of it to a tank of gas. Do it twice then start calculating gas mileage. Get your carbs synced too.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Wally world has Fram CH6009 filter . Fits the stock canister. Rotella is fine oil

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Cool.Thanks guys.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I picked up a gallon of Chevron Delo 400e today at Walmart but forgot the filter number I needed. Oh, well, I'll pick that up tomorrow I guess. Got a dipstick kit to install and thought I'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

they've got silicate free anti-freeze on sale too for 9 bucks a gallon.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Wearing ear plugs on a wing???:shock::shock:

Thats just wrong!:cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

you should be able to get 80 mph in 3rd gear if its running right. shift it down and kick it in the pants and see what it does. JB

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

OK.What am I going to blow if its not up to the task?

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Did you notice what your RPM's were at? When I first got my 81 it sounded like I was going to sling something at 70-75mph, but after talking to guys on here with older bikes the sound was about right. Now I don't even pay attention to it, and it will move pretty good at around 70 and give it more throttle for quick passes. I doubt you will ruin anything, as one on here told me when I got it up and running......"ride it like you stole it" for a while and it will get better.......and it has!

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Darn.Did not make note of the rpm's but will tomorrow.Well I am getting used to the low center of gravity and love it.I'll post more after another ride tomorrow.
Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

tomw wrote:
OK.What am I going to blow if its not up to the task?
probably your saddlebad lid might blow off.LOL. Your mileage is terrible, On my 83 aspencade if i keep it under 65 I can get 42-45 mpg. if yours dont want go with clean gas a new air and fuel filter and pliugs odds are your carbs will be needing a inspection. Check your fuel pump pressure first and make sure the tank screens are clean. Take your fuel tank sending unit out and take a peek in the tank .the worse thing for these old bikes imho is too be setting for long periods of time. JB

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've had three 1100s that had no problem breaking 100mph with no difficulty and in a pretty short length of time. I cruised them at 75-80mph regularly. The only real noise I noticed at highway speeds was the exhaust and wind noise. Gas mileage goes down once you exceed 75 or so, below that the 1100s get around 40-45 mpg. My 1100 Standard shot past 100 quickest of the lot but the other two were an Interstate and Aspencade both full dress and weren't much slower getting up to a ton. The Standard was a 1980, and the other two were 1982 models. The 1983 ought to be as good or better though a little bit slower in acceleration than the lower geared earlier model.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

Run the seafoam thru it like suggested. Sync your carbs after you've ran a couple of tanks of gas thru it. Cahnge your plugs and filter after the sea foam treatment. There are several aftermarket filters that will fit you bike. Do a cross refence on that FRAM CH6009 and see what you come up with. As for your noise issues, if your carbs are messed up your bike will make alot of excess noise, mileage will be low and your acceloration not up to par. But you on the right track.
Later Rumple

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks Rumple.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

with your next tank of gas run a can (recommended amount) of seafoam, available at any auto parts house. great stuff, helps clean carbs.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Seafoam it is but I started thinking about the main jets and when they kick in.Too cold today to do a test ride but tomorrow looks good weather wise.
When do the main jets kick in? Above 4500 rpm or so? Seems like I had a similiar problem on another bike where the mains never got a chance to kick in.Can't remember why though.
Slides not lifting all the way up? But on the other bike I could watch the slides with the breathers off.
Whatdayathingk?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE YOUR TALKING ABOUT A 2 CYCLE ENGINE. IT WON'T HAPPEN WITH YOUR WING. YOU JUST HAVE GUNK IN THE CARBS, BLOCKING THE JETS. JUST GIVE IT A CHANCE.
LATER RUMPLE

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

OK Rumple.Seafoam is going in today.Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.