Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My fairing is not about to fall off, but when I am up to speed the fairing does have some shake/freeplay to it and the mirrors shake quite a bit as well. Before I go taking things apart, does someone know what areas I should be looking to tighten up or reinforce in some manner?

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Hi Ed.

I hope that you don't run into what I did when I took my fairing off this March. I had noticed a bit more movement than I thought was right but didn't really think that much about it. When the fairing came off, so did pieces on the right side. My fairing was completely broken underneath.

Fortunately, 90% of the broken pieces were still there. So, like a jigsaw puzzle, I figured out what went where. I purchased some epoxy and some fiberglass cloth. Piece by piece I glued them back together. Boy was that fun:?. When that had set up, I sanded the area smooth, coated the area with more epoxy, putthe fiberglass cloth over the top, and rubbed the cloth into the epoxy resin. I also put the cloth inside the fairing and did the same thing. Furthermore, I had a crack running up the inside of the fairing. I used a dremel tool to create a small channel, used more epoxy and a strip of the cloth over the top. Finally, I put the fairing back on and drilled the holes for the bolts. Everything dropped back in. I was HAPPY!! I also think I might of relieve some pressure on the fairing by redrilling the bolt holes.

So far So GOOD.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

So it sounds like that bolts go right into the plastic of the fairing. And I probably got some cracks in there creating the free play and shaking.

Do you remember how many bolts hold the fairing on? Sounds like I have another project on my hands...Or maybe the fairing wants to come off for good...

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

Hi,

You'll have two nuts on either side of the fairing at the bottom, just below the "Honda" logo. You will also have four bolts across the front of the fairing, at the edge of the skirt just above the fender. In my experience (and I've had mine on and off quite a bit), it's easier to have a hand doing this, but can be done alone. Here's what I did:

- Remove the mirrors, then the windshield garnish and windshield.

- Unplug the main electrical connector and the ground connector between the fairing and the frame (left side). This to me was the hardest part. Not enough room for Yeti hands. :(

- Removed the front four nuts/bolts. Be sure to retain the metal collars!

- Remove the forward nut from each side (underneath) the fairing.

- Then remove one of the rear nuts, then while bracing the headlight area with one hand, remove the other nut. You'll find that it's not too heavy...then you just stand up, grip the fairing at either side while straddling the front wheel, and lift straight up, then back.

If your mirrors are wobbling, check underneath the rubber gasketand see if there's a screw. Mine has them, I know some others don't. Anyway, you can tighten that screw a tad and the mirrors will stiffen up.

Hope it helps. I have some extra fairing mount pieces and a spare fairing that has a small part broken off the left turn signal area (still have the piece) which could be repaired. If you find you need some parts, or if you find your metal collars are missing, I may have spares I can post to you.

Jack

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

If you have a Clarion II sound system, you probably have an amplifier found down inside the right fairing pocket. The two bolts on the right hand side are attached to the bracket that holdsthat amp in place. So, when you go to take off the fairing, make sure you don't tip it up on it's headlightwithout going aheadand placing the amp foward in the compartmentas the amplifier will go crashing foward and might damage the fairing or the wiring or both.:(Also, if you do indeed have pieces ready to fall out, when you go to reassemble them, you may find that the only way that they'll go back together is by bringing them in from inside. My plastic wasn't broken in a straight line but was beveled. The last piece I put in place wouldn't go in from the outside and I couldn't reach it from the inside and glue at the same time. So, I just drilled a little hole in it, screwed in a long sheet metal screw and used that as a handle to hold the piece in place as the epoxy set up.Then I just unscewed it.I used a quick set epoxy and only mixed up a little at a time as needed.

I hope for your sake it's just loose mirrors, otherwise you're in for some "bonding" with your fairing. Get it? Bonding, epoxy. Gee I just crack myself up. Wait, Crack myself up I can't stand it!

Seriously, I wish you well.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

My mirrors are tight. There is freeplay in the entire fairing when going over bumbs in the road...etc....

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Booo....

That's what mine was doing.

And the saga continues....

Hobie

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

Just an added note:

If you find that the fairing is cracked, there's a fiberglass impregnated bondo that can be used to repair the cracks (my brother does auto body, & has done this to a trunk for me). He took a grinding disk to the cracks, creating about an 1/8" gap. then he liberally spread the bondo over the cracks (I wish he hadn't used as much, because I was the one doing the sanding). The repair is stronger than the original piece.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.