Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Can someone direct me to some where to see how to shave a GL1500se seat? My stock seat is making my legs start aching after about 1 hr. So before I shell out the sheckles for a new seat. I thought I'd try shaving mine first. I have to stop about every 35-40 miles to walk &continue.:shock:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks to the both of you :clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

Here while back Kojaq posted about cutting the bottom of the seat to allow you to sit further down in the seat. I gave it a try on my old worn out seat, believe it or not, it works wonders for my backside.

I will post a pic of what I did when I get a chance, but I used my DeWalt rotary cutter to slice out the bottom of the seat in small sections until I got it to sit like I wanted it too. I eventually ended up cutting out most of the seat pan where my butt hit it and it sits so much better now it isn't funny. I plan on getting one of those custom seat covers from JC Whitney and putting on it to seat if it isn't the cat's meow. Let you know what I come up with.

It lets you sit about 2 inches lower but the sitting bones actually sit flat instead of being lifted up and out of alignment like it did.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

I really like how it allows my butt to actually settle in the seat completely, unlike before which my boys always felt in a bind as well as the hips would settle but the sitting bones always were not allowed to sit like they should have been.

I actually cut a little too much out and got into the hard section of the seat, but it didn't hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

I just finished this little mod . I didnt cut near as much out as in the photo . Just looked at where it sit on the frame and trimmed them out . Dropped the seat 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch . On my bike any more and the outer part of the seat would sit on the side covers .

None the less i appreciate the idea and i can sit my feet flat now with my riding boots on . Took about 20 minutes , i love the simple things in live :cool:

Thanks cntryboy1289

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I have prostate problems and I had to modify my seat so I cut a "V" out of the center and it works really well.

The seat was really easy to modify.

As you can see, I also added an extra layer of foam to beef it up a little bit under load bearing "cheeks".

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Dragon wagon wrote:
wolfman how are you going to refasten the cover ?
There are two stages to connect the cover.

First you see the strings,
Second the staples.

To remove the cover you pull the staplesas needed, about half way back from the front. Then cut the strings as needed as you pull the cover back. Becareful not to damage the tabs on the cover that the strings pass through.

When putting it back you will do the strings first, I used a spool of string that I got at home depot and a large needle (I don't know what it's for, but I came across it in my tools that I got from my late father in law).

I used the tube from a can of wd40 to extend the reach of the needle. There are holes that go through the seat foam that the strings pass through. The needle didn't reach so I jammed the tube on the end of the needle to line it up through those holes and to get it on the correct side of the tie off plastic on the seat base.

Then use a regular staple gun to staple the seat cover back inplace.

When I put itback together, I only put in a couple staples and rode around for a few days with theseat cover loose to make sure that I was happy with the foam modification. I figure that the plastic pan can only be stapled a few times before there are too many holes to holdstaples anymore.

This picture above, you see that I am finishing up.

·
Premium Member
'91 gl1500
752 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the link .I will be doing the oppisite thiugh , I need to firm up my seat a little as I find after a days riding it compress's too much and becomes uncomfortable . I reckon if I get some firmer foam and maybe a gel insert it would make a big difference .

MW

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

The white foam in mine is not original. I added that on top of the stock foam.

Also notice how I shaved out some of the foam at the front ofthe white foam, it was putting too much pressure on the "boys".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.