Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Now that we are in beautiful, but chilly fall weather, I've notice that my old 83 seems a lot more peppy. More get up and go--almost chomping at the bit (once she's warmed up). The performance is better. I was kind of lugging up hills that were into the wind, but now she just flies right up. I notice if particularly at highway speeds.

Does anyone else note cold weather improvement?

Chuck

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
imported post

Cold air is "more dense" so more oxygen to mix with that "go liquid" :cooldevil:

Nature's 'natural supercharger" ;)

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

My 1500 seems to like it better as well....been out around town yesterday and today, north of you, The Lake. Not bad enough to quit yet.....

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Flashya2,
I'm planning on riding more this winter than in the past . . . just hate to put it away. It's pretty nice today, I'd like to get the wind down a bit. I'm headed out in a few minutes--I've got a hospital visit to make and then I'm going to check on a cartop carrier for the new/old trailer I bought to tow around behind the bike.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

John, you nailed it. Cold air is denser than warm air, thus crams more oxygen into the intake system.

Years ago when I was really heavy into R/C aircraft, a bunch of us got together and worked up a plan to keep our thumbs in shape over the winter. 1/2A pylon racing.

Quick rundown, 22" minimum length, 32" minimum span, 11oz all up weight minimum, .061 engine, could be polished, but no other modifications allowed. 90mph flat out.

To sum it up, the .061's we ran would turn 18,000rpm in the stand and unload in the air to around 25,000rpm on a July or August day...However, in January, they'd turn 24,000rpm in the stand and unload to well over 30,000rpm in the air.

I see performance increases in my 1100 when it drops below 50 degrees, I also see mileage increases, especially when the humidity is high. It's the cool air you're feeling Chuck. Throw on some thermals and enjoy it! :)

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Mike, I've got my insulated jeans, armored leather, neck warmer, thinsulate gloves--could'nt be happier, loving the Wing, lovin' the cold!

Chuck

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Mine ran great last nite when it was 40 degrees and when I got off work this am it was 27 degrees. Little slow on turn over but geez it was cold and I couldn't fault it for that. I still got the 50w Synth in there. I'll get itout here soon. Slapped on the thermals,full face, textile jacket and headed to work. Coming back this morning I did slip the rain cover mittens over the leather gloves and kept the old digits warmer. I gotta get my amp usage down so I can use some gloves and vest. Winters Here Ride ON............

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

My 85I loves the cool weather we get here in Florida. The 30's and 40's make it and me both want to get up and go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.