Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well after more than 6 weeks of sitting in my yard, I finally got to ride my bike again, minus one saddlebag and the fake tank. I still have some work to do in those areas. It took me over an hour to clean up all the boxes of tools and parts that had built up around it while it sat there, and put them away. It ran great, better than it ever has. I only went about 10 miles on a mostly deserted road, but it was smooth as silk, and the engine ran like a Swiss watch. Almost thought there was a turbine down there. No backfires, no flat spots, no hesitation, nothing. And whatever that noise was in the rear end/wheel on the stand was gone when I actually rode it. A little brake work, do something about the R/R cooking itself and everything around it, and it should be road ready. The brake work is easy, but I still have no clue what to do about the R/R. I'm afraid the R/R or stator will fail, or worse, all that heat will set the bike on fire.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

jerry, i replaced the r/r on my 84 last week. i noticed it was hot when i ran with the false cover off. i think they are designed to run with the cover on, i think the air cleaner intake supplys air circulation to help cool the r/r. without the cover it may not get a good air flow. now i would take this with a grain of salt because i am not an engineer thats for sure. just my two cents worth. walkabout :)

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I did not work today (I worked all weekend, and even got some serious overtime) I finally got my bike back together, early this morning, and went out for about a 50 mile ride, rode to a little town called Maricopa not to far from here, cruised at 65, smooth as butter. Stopped at McDonalds, got a drink and a burger, and sat there by the window and just looked at it. It has taken 3 months of hard frustrating work to get to this point, but the bike ran like brand new, no unusual noises at all. I forgot I was on a 26 year old bike for a bit, and just rode it. Even got rained on. The bike performed flawlessly. There are still a few minor details to take care of, but they have nothing to do with the way the bike runs. My solution to the overheating regulator for the moment is a small but powerful ducted 12V blower wheel type fan blowing directly on it. You can get to it through the top door on the fake tank. It's a 4 amp fan, so not only does it blow a lot of air, it also subtracts 4 amps from what the regulator is shorting to ground.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

This is great news!!!!

I know you've slaved over prior-owner disease. Time to enjoy the fruit of your labors.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Nice job Jerry. Won't be & you will be enjoying the fruits of your labor.:claps::action:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Good to hear Jerry, I know you'll love the bike once it's tweaked to your liking.

I'll still keep an eye out for a working cruise control set up for ya........ I know your gonna want it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.