Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got the backordered parts I was waiting on yesterday, and this morning I did the unthinkable. I called in sick. I got up at 4:00 am, and got started on it. By 10:00 am I had the engine all back together, and tried to start it. Dead battery. Went and got the battery out of the Pinto, hooked up the jumper cables, turned the switch on, fuel pump came on and ran for a few seconds, no leaks found. I hit the starter button, it turned over a couple of times, fired right up, and very quickly settled into a very stable idle. I let it run a few minutes until the fan came on, then set the idle at 1000 rpm. I stood there for several minutes and watched it idle at exactly 1000 rpm. Digital tach didn't budge. It runs so smooth you can barely feel it. I revved it several times, it revved fine, no flat spots or backfires, and no black smoke like before. And best of all, no chirping noise like before either. Looks like my method of repairing the reed valves worked. I have not ridden it yet, there are a few other things I want to do before putting the plastic and seat back on, but it runs perfect on the stand. Guess I feel better now and will go to work this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

if there is a chirping sound, it won't happen untill your moving,
hope it all works.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The chirping sound was coming from a vacuum leak at the reed valves. It made it anytime the engine was running, or just being turned over by the starter. This problem is unique to the fuel injected LTD/SEI.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

You must be very pleased friend. Sometimes we must take a personal day to find the time for what really matters. Personally I would have done the same. Let us know how your first ride goes.

RED

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

hmmmmmmmmmmm dont i reember you wanting to junk that ltd?

bet you enjoy it when ya get to ride it running right:action:

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

I know how great it feels when she starts up runs rite, congrats. But- reed valves ??????????

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Nice job Jerry, It won't be long before out & enjoying it.:claps:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

galaxyhunter wrote:
Nice job Jerry, It won't be long before out & enjoying it.:claps:
Jerry still has a lot of work ahead of him before he rides it as he likes to get rid of all the safety features.
The throttle return cable is already gone but the kill switch and brakes are still there. He could even get rid of the clutch and just start it in gear.:action:

Just kidding Jerry and nice work on the fix.:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Armo wrote:
ahh, there;s nothing like good ol carbs...
Carbs - Schmarbs! Don't listen to 'em Jerry. Fuel injection rules! LOL:ROFL:

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
I got the backordered parts I was waiting on yesterday, and this morning I did the unthinkable. I called in sick. I got up at 4:00 am, and got started on it. By 10:00 am I had the engine all back together, and tried to start it. Dead battery. Went and got the battery out of the Pinto, hooked up the jumper cables, turned the switch on, fuel pump came on and ran for a few seconds, no leaks found. I hit the starter button, it turned over a couple of times, fired right up, and very quickly settled into a very stable idle. I let it run a few minutes until the fan came on, then set the idle at 1000 rpm. I stood there for several minutes and watched it idle at exactly 1000 rpm. Digital tach didn't budge. It runs so smooth you can barely feel it. I revved it several times, it revved fine, no flat spots or backfires, and no black smoke like before. And best of all, no chirping noise like before either. Looks like my method of repairing the reed valves worked. I have not ridden it yet, there are a few other things I want to do before putting the plastic and seat back on, but it runs perfect on the stand. Guess I feel better now and will go to work this afternoon.
Good job !!

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

The reed valves are specific to the LTD/SEI, and are a real PITA when they fail. It took me a week and a half to figure out a way to put things back together that would stay together, and that caused changes to both the length and inside diameter of the hoses and fittings. I didn't know if that would make a difference or not. Apparently not.

BTW, I did put both cables back on, and lubed them both, I didn't see any reason to remove one since it wasn't causing any problems, and it only took a few seconds to put it back.

It is true I am not a believer in safety devices, especially those that interfere with your control of the motorcycle, I believe the human brain is the best safety device ever made. To bad more people don't use it. I mean, a new ladder comes with about 20 safety and warning stickers. If you actually need those stickers, you sure don't need to be using a ladder.

So, now it is back to the charging system, then rebuild the rear brakes, ride it for awhile, if nothing goes seriously wrong, a general cleanup, and a new windshield and seat.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

:waving:

JerryH,

So, how did you fix the reed valves??????????

We need pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!:praying:

This problem could show up on a lot more of the SIE/LTD bikes.

Thanks

John kb0ou :byebye:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, and it's all back together now. With everything in place, it is impossible to see anything. Fixing the valves actually turned out to be fairly easy, but it threw everything else off, requiring a lot of modifications to the hoses and other fittings. I still have a couple of old valves, some hoses and fittings I could put together and take pictures of, to at least show how the valves themselves were modified. If anyone else has this issue, I will be happy to help. But remember, this is the first time I've ever run into this, and while I put a lot of thought into it, and don't see any way it could fail, you never know for sure.

Also, while I bought some of the parts, I also used some pieces of hose from my junk box. I have owned a lot of bikes, and have removed all the emissions stuff from all of them. I saved all the rubber hoses and all the fittings, just for something like this.

Another thing, while it appears that simply replacing the valves with new ones could be done without removing the entire intake system, the modifications I made can't. The hoses have to be rerouted and there is just no room under there. On the other hand, if the valves are bad, most likely everything else is too. It was just deterioration from age and heat.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Good for you Jerry :claps::claps:, and good job!

I think you'll love the ride once everything is in working order.

I'd even be willing to bet that you'll be on EBay soon getting all those parts to put the radio and cruise control back on also.........

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I already love the ride, I had ridden it a couple of hundred miles before the FI problem showed up. But no, I won't be looking to fix the cruise control or radio. I ride to get away from it all, and have never listened to a radio, or even an iPod. I like to just enjoy the ride. If I decide I really want it, I will install a throttle lock. I have them on 3 of my other bikes, but rarely ever use them. I prefer to be in control of the bike most of the time, the throttle lock can give you hand a short rest on a long trip.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
imported post

a sick day to work on a goldwing is ok in my book

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

I agree 50%

The radio I can live without, the cruise control is really nice to have, although not necessary. I do a lot of long range riding (Iron Butt etc.)

We can put a aftermarket cruise control on it too.

I would still like to see what you did with the reed valves, ya never know if I am going to get the oportunity to help someone with the same problem..

John kb0ou :action:

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

For those who have never ridden with the delight of there favorite song playing on the radio while feeling the air and freedom? Don't knock it till you try it. And for those who say it's a distraction? I say that I can walk and chew gum at the same time. Can you?

With all due respect to all I love my radio very very much. Although, I am a musician.

RED

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

bassmasterb65 wrote:
a sick day to work on a goldwing is ok in my book
...agreed he said sick-just didn't say what of...official diagnosis= sick of not being able to ride his wing. Fortunately he is cured...:action:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.