Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

well i just picked up a 82 1100. Love this sucker... the prev owner pulled off the mufflers, and put on strait pipes, has a decent sound to it... however, out of the right pipe it smokes, inside the pipe is a black oily residue, it has a strong gas smell coming from the pipe once in a while... i have been told that could be the head gasket, but i figured i woudl pop in and ask the pro's... any ideas? i still have to go though the bike really well and sync the carbs tighten everything up, and clean the whole thing... but i do not want to ride this thing around with that gas smell, i smell like i just mowed the lawn when i get off it! :D

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

Had a similar issue with my 82 Aspy. Mine has the stock exhaust but it smoked out one side and I always smelled like gas. Had the carbs rebuilt and the problem was solved.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Your problem might be a float set too high causing a rich mixture in a cylinder. A carb job should fix that. Check your plugs, that will tell you if it's rich or not!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

NICE! i know i have to do that for sure cause i have a sticky float in one... likes to pee once in a while when i spark it

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

If you buy carb kits, stay away from aftermarket. I suggest you look into "Randakk's" kits. They are high quality & complete. I believe he even has a video for step by step. It is crutial to take your time & be meticulius or you will be doing them more than once.

When your wing is dialed in properly, it will have almost the same thrust as the space shuttle!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

AWESOME! I will do that, i have done prob 50 carb kits and know what happens when you get a bit sloppy! hahaha sucks... thanks for the tips ill def just order some kits to just get a fresh set up in there!
Last night we put on about 85 miles and i ran about 1/8 can of sea foam there the tank (that was all i had left) it made a huge diff as always, but nothing is like doing a full rebuild.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.