Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ive really messed up this time...after changing the front brake pads I overtightened one of the bolts and it sheared off half way. I wasnt wearing my glasses and read 25ft lbs as 35....I know...lesson learned. Does anyone know how diffucult its going to be to get the rest of the bolt out? I wont be able to do it myself so any ideas on how much I can expect to pay for someone to do it for me?

Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Armitage Shanks wrote:
Ive really messed up this time...after changing the front brake pads I overtightened one of the bolts and it sheared off half way. I wasnt wearing my glasses and read 25ft lbs as 35....I know...lesson learned. Does anyone know how diffucult its going to be to get the rest of the bolt out? I wont be able to do it myself so any ideas on how much I can expect to pay for someone to do it for me?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Armitage Shanks, I have no idea what you will have to pay for removal but it probably won't be real cheap (at least not cheap in the US here)

I usually just remove them myself, I start with a (small) Left Hand drill bit & core the center of the broken bolt out, then move up to a larger Left Hand drill bit & drill the center out with that, then move up to a proper sized Left Hand drill bit for the proper tap size used for the bolt in question. With any luck one of those Left Hand drill bits will catch the broken bolt & just spin it right out. If I get to proper tap size & the bolt still hasn't budged I dig a many of the threads out that I can with a dental pick then run a tap into the hole.

Alternate method---If the bolt is broken at or above the hole top I will sometimes weld a washer on the broken stud/bolt, then weld a nut to that washer, then when it cools, the entire nut-washer-broken bolt will just turn right out.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the advice Twisty...just phoned local MC shop...they said a round 15 quid...so I shall let them sweat over it. Thanks again.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The Easy0outs can often cause more problems, I've lost count of the ones I broke inside the holes and then couldn't drill out because they are hardened. Weldong a nut & washer is usually a better bet, but as you're leaving it into a shop you won't be concerned. They will probably use Ultrasound to get the bolt out.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Armitage Shanks wrote:
I wasnt wearing my glasses and read 25ft lbs as 35....I
A fifty percent over torque shouldn't have broken the bolt, it was damaged already!

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Some times you can drill into it with a small bit then a larger one and reverse the drill and pull it out, sometimes , key word?

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

exavid wrote:
A fifty percent over torque shouldn't have broken the bolt, it was damaged already!

Thank you Exavid....so I wasnt entirely to blame then eh?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Doubt it, torque values are very conservative.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.