Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought an 89 Wing last April. It's my first bike after wanting one for 40 years and whining about it to my wife for 36. I've put 6K miles on since then and have discovered that my limit is @250miles/day before my butt and legs get a bit numb. What kind and where do I look for a sheepskin cover to help? I understand that they work in hot and cold weather as well as negate pressure points. Any insights would be helpful.

Mark

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

They make a huge difference. I just buy a plain sheep skin at IKEA $40 and cut and attach it myself. IMO they work better after they get wet a few times and the fur kind of curls up and mats down.

Also, seating position is critical. I need more of a flat type seat that I can slide back or forward on instead of a king/queen type that forces me into one spot.

Q

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thanks, that will give my wife another excuse to hit IKEA.
MD

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Hi Mark and welcome. 250 miles is good going before you get the numbs, many people can only stand about 150 miles before needing a break.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Welome Mark to the forum, I can do 500 but you see what I riding :action:And it is a custome seat just to fit my booty

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

Hello Mark and welcome from Arizona.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Welcome Mark. The sheepskin will be nice for the hot/cold temperatures, but don't count too much on it for comfort. Looks good, but a nicely placed gel pad, in addition, would help.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
Welcome Mark. The sheepskin will be nice for the hot/cold temperatures, but don't count too much on it for comfort. Looks good, but a nicely placed gel pad, in addition, would help.
I was wanting to say this myself. Thought I would just be nice. But as far as I am concerned a bath towel doubled and laid on the seat is better than any sheepskin ever stolen from a sheep.

A sheepskin will stop you from sweating in the heat and does help with an insulating air pocket in the cold, but both these advantages are lost if you ride in full gear such as armored riding pants.

Gel pads are an very slight improvement, but they also take a set and as far as comfort they lack a lot to be desired also.

What does really work is an air mattress style seat pad, such as the air hawk. You can put in more air, or let out some, even at noon adjust the air in the pad again and get a whole new feel.

A way to tell if you might like an air seat is to get some bubble wrap and double it and ride around for a day with that. It is not exactly like the air pads but will give you a hint.

Air type pads stop all that tailbone pain and allows you to scoot around to many positions and the air just rolls around in the air chambers and really works well.

Kit

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Trying bubble wrap sounds like a good idea, I'll give that a shot when it warms up a bit. I really want to ride out to LA and San Diego to see family but at 250-300 miles/day the appeal is dimmed a bit.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I guess it really is a matter of preference. I've tried the air mattress type pads, gel pads, wood beads, other foam things, folded up jackets, etc., but sheepskin works best for my fat butt. I also prefer a harder rather than softer saddle.

BTW another source for sheepskin is to buy a car seat cover and cut it down. Our Costco has them for $40.

Q

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Don't rush the mileage. In the spring, 250 miles is a huge ride for me, but by summer, I'm good for 500 miles [75mph on Interstate]. But I'm an old guy.

I use a custom fit sheepskin from www.alaskaleather.comthat cost $55. with the promo word 'deadsheep'.

My wife loves to ride & needs the tailbone cutout + gelpad covered in sheepskin. She got the ortho-deluxe from www.amspecialtiesusa.com for about $120. IIRC [they also have the air seats?].

We went through years of trying before deciding on these....so, there is no same fix for everyone.

Sheepskin reduces the friction & helps to keep butt dry, but no real magic answer for anything.

I give more credit to my backrest & hiway pegs than anything....I need to be able to change around often.

Do a 500 mile Saturday once you get your BIKE BUTT in the spring. Then, decide what length of trip you are up for.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Popeye, thanks for the post. I'm an old guy too (62) and have bookmarked the gel/sheepskin seat from Amspecialties as perhaps the best of all possible worlds. My wife hasn't yet ridden with me, as she thinks I still need training wheels, but perhaps this year will be the time.

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
imported post

Welcome markdarling I think I'll call you Mark though markdarling sounds alittle well domestic for a stranger.:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
imported post