Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So, with my recent purchase of a very clean '82 aspencade (39k miles) came a few problems that need to be taken care of. With it being in the shop to fix the overheating issue, i'm doing to some pondering on the other issues.

The radio (see other thread)
The smoking on startup (VERY certain it needs new valve seals)
The air suspension (see other thread)
Wheel bearings (not a big job i don't think)

and lastly. . .

The screaming.

The bike has a good howl/scream from 25-50 while accelerating. It is only while accelerating, changes with speed, but not gear. And sounds like it is coming from directly under the engine.

Does anyone have any experience with this??

The bike came with a 50/50 warranty, so if it is major, they can fix it. But all of the other stuff above I'm going to fix myself because it's more worthwhile in the long run to get experience tinkering with it.

I got a pretty good deal (In my opinion) at $2k, so I'm not afraid to put some money in it.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Pics as soon as I get it back from the shop

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

The "screaming" you hear is coming from the transmission. Every GoldWing does it and it's perfectly normal.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
The "screaming" you hear is coming from the transmission. Every GoldWing does it and it's perfectly normal.
Excellent. That is what I want to hear. Cross that off the list until/if it gets worse.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Yup, I prefer to call it 'singing'. I believe 3rd gear is straight cut and really howls. Could be wrong, but it sure sounds like it.

A little smoke at startup is normal, especially if it's been on it's sidestand for more than a few days. The oil collects on the lower cylinder...one of the hazards of a horizontal engine design.

So, curious...how much did this 82 cost you? Sounds expensive with that warranty and all.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

See top post. ($2,000)

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

If it screams in neutral when revving the engine, the timing belts are too tight. That is a very common issue when the adjuster springs are "helped" making them too tight. Otherwise, see above.

John

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
:coollep:Dang and I thought that was Singin I was hearin

:action::action:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.