Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I finally got my 81 GL1100 back together. I did a winter top end and carb rebuild after 28 yrs and 110k+ miles on her. Filledthe fluids today (no leaks!!!)and turned on the gas(no leaks!!!), pulled the choke and pushed the little red button. She firedup and purrrrrd like a kitten. I let her run until the fan kicked on and still no leaks, a very good sign!. Took her out for a 20 miler and she's sounds and runs great. A couple of pops at first under load but that was all. Pulled her in the garage and shut her down, still no leaks. Success!!!!! I'll sync the carbs when my bro who lives in NC brings uphis gauges when he visits in a couple of months. I'll put on tank shelter, seat and fairing lowers tonight and I'll get some new pics together and post them.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
imported post

Great to here that Wingd, the old girl is ready to roll this season.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

I wish mine was in as good of shape. I got leaks all over the place, air in the brake lines a bad stator...oy.

Glad to hear yer ready to roll though.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

While I haven't done the majority of work you described (I had a pro do it - Pistol Pete), I am almost at thesame stage. I've just got a few minor cosmetic details to take care of and get my body panels back from the paint shop and I'll have my GL on the road for the first time in almost 20 years! Purrs like a kitten - I can't wait to take it out and become reacquainted with it!! :action:

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Sounds great, enjoy your ride:action::action:

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Had a beautiful day here today. In the 60's and sunny. Took the wing on a 100 mile shake down run and she runs great!! Almost like new again. Just had a slight oil leak on right valve cover bottom. Took it off cleaned it up and add a smear of rtv should do the trick. Everything works perfect. I'll do a compression test this weekend and see where she's at. Before teardown #2 cyl was 120ish and the others were 150ish. Mind you the engine was cold,no oil and the carbs were off, so this time it will be tested in running condition, I feel confident it will be in the 160 range because of the way she runs.I forgot to get a pic of her while it was still daylight, but I'll get one soon.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
imported post

g-wiz broke ifn ya knew a wrench and a few bucks ya could bring er up to date

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Once #2 comes up on the compression then re-check the sync on the carbs.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Yes, syncing the carbs is next on my list. Just waiting on the gauge from my brother. I think the sync is preaty close cause she runs so well but I'll tweak it in.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Here are some pics I took today after a 80 mile run.She's running great after the overhaul. She's in need of a good bath.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I finally got around to do a compression test after my winter head and carb rebuild project. Before #2 cyl was 120isn and the rest were 150ish. Now after doing the top end all four are around 175/180ish, so i'm pleased with that.She sure runs goooooooood!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

That is awsome. You give everyone hope for their beloved wings:)

Great looking bike too:cool:

Ride Safe, Ray

:action:

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Well I've replaced the stator, gotten the air out of the brake lines, and it looks like I've gotten rid of most if not all of the leaks. However now it's running like crap and I can't figure out if it's starved for fuel or losing spark. Thinking I might just sell it.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Old wings NEVER break down, they just find more ways to force us tocaress them.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
imported post

whats a broke wing worth

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.