Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The seal where the shift lever enters the housing is weeping a little and I would like to change this before it gets worse. Can I do this without dropping the motor and dismantling the case or can I access this while the motor is still in the chassis?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Just need to remove the pinch bolt on the shifter and remove the shift lever from the shaft. It's a good idea to make a reference mark to mark the position of the shifter to the shaft before you do. The old seal can be removed easily by driving a small machine screw or self tapping screw into the center of the seal until the thread grabs the seal giving you something to grab a hold of with some pliers then just pull it out.(Just dont go too deep-again use a short screw) Clean the crud off the shaft and put a little clean oil on the new seal then drive it on with a socket.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
i'm not mech minded but i did mine with the help of this group on my 85ltd. it only took a few minutes and i used a ice pick to remove old one.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I did mine as well, 85 LTD. I had read where I would have to drop the manifold off the head but while I was spraying the nuts that held it in place, I was looking at a straight shot in to the shaft. So, as described above, I just removed the shifter (Must remove bolt all the way), took a hook and pried the old one out, cleaned everything in the area up and re-installed the new one...... Minutes.... it's easy.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
If it's a GL1500 we're talking about, then the only common problem is that there is often insufficient room to remove the shift lever from the shaft, due to lack of clearance between the end of the shaft and the frame.

The Fix for that is to use a Dremel Tool with small (1/4" dia) grinding wheel, and remove a small amount (~1/64") material from the end of the shaft prior to removing the lever... then the lever will slide right off, this time and forever after, easy.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
It's an easy enough job to do and you don't need to dismantle anything major. By the way, what model Goldwing is it you have?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
on the 1200 the worst part can be removing the shifter lever bolt which is a painfully slow process

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Ditto to all above, just be very careful with the screw/pick not to scratch the shaft or aluminum housing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.