Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Bought a used 96 1500SE. Was fine. Now I can't shift it into N, also won't start. I get nothing when I hit the START Button, even with the CLUTCH in. Can the linkage to shifter be adjusted or something??? Willing to try anything before shipping it off to the shop. THNX in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

try the battery, wouldnt be the first time someone sold a goldwing cause the alt quit working

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

You could try changing the clutch fluid, and bleeding the system well. If its original clutch fluid, you may need to rebuild the slave cylinder behind engine. Also change brake fluid front and rear, and bleed if they have`t been changed in awhile. Make sure battery is charged, and good. Try again. No adjustment is in the clutch system.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Check the kill switch on the right handle bar to make sure it hasn't gotten bumped and turned off. Also, shift the bike into 2nd gear and then slowly and gently push down on the shift lever and it should drop into neutral.

If both of those fail, it could be the reverse switch on the left side behind the reverse lever. (remove the side covers and you can reach under there and wiggle it)

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

yes the linkage can be adjusted...try changing eng oil too...i had this shifting prob when i left dirty oil in over the winter...it always started though...the acids went to work on my shift mechinisms and took new oil and a bit of riding to get it back perfect.....neutral light??..has issues too?....might be resultant

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

I had a similar problem on the 89'. It turned out that when I had backed it into the parking area and disengaged the reverse lever and shut it down. Went out the next morning and had thesame symptoms as yours. All the lights came on except the N, Could notfindshift into N, nor would it start, even with the clutch lever pulled in.

Turned out to be the reverse lever had notactually disengaged the reverseswitch. Try engaging the lever again and releasing it again. If that does notwork. Then as Spondulas suggested, take off the side cover and reach backbehind the reverse lever and checkout the switch.

Good luck!!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

To release reverse pull out on the lever to release the lock pin, then push down the lever or you will bend the pin. You can take the handle off to check the pin if need be.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I'll be checking these tips out....It stinks because the weather is too nice to be working on a GW I could be riding...:sad:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Let me know if you get er going, I'll be out there in @ 3 weeks, to Somersworth NH. ROAD TRIP!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

That would be good.....I should have the GW on the road by then. Have to fix the Start/Reverse switch. My lad's son is coming over to do it later in the week. He works on them....lucky me...;)

Either way, we could at least have a coffee together. If you haven't been here before I could help you to get around...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.