Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I assume that many others have had fits trying to get the rubber weather seal, flap or whatever you might choose to call it, which encloses/covers the shift shaft where the toe shifter mounts to remain attached to the header protectors via the little rubber **** (sorry, can't think what else to call them!).

Was driving me nuts to the point that I was just going to remove it altogether until I had a "moment." - doesn't happen often!

I sliced off the rubber **** (sorry again!) and used a drill bit to make a hole at each site and then, using short aluminum rivets, riveted the rubber flap to the header protector...........worked like a charm.

Only fly in the ointment is that if you wish to remove your engine guard or valve covers, you will have to drill out the rivets..........a job which takes just seconds - had to remove one during installation as I first tried to rivet it on backwards..........so much for "moments"!

Anyhow, feeling particularly brilliant for the next very short while!

T.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Don't smoke...........but do drink! Gonna reward myself with one the beer my youngest left laying around unclaimed. If I have to put in the fridge, I get to drink it!

T.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

tnoort...I know exactly what you are talking about. Removed the one on the trike to put different engine guards on, and couldn't get it back on.
I was going to try to buy a new one...have you tried to buy a new one?
And yes, I would call them **** two.....I mean too!

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Double entendre is what we call that remark up here...............and haven't tried to buy the piece from Honda but if it like the alternator noise suppressor I tried to purchase it will be "discontinued" and not be in the official factory parts fiche.

Anybody know if the 1800 uses the same part?

And I did manage to find the noise suppressor......Honda Canada had three in an old parts bin despite the official company line - thanks to all of you who were going to pop one in the mail for me (and I absolutely don't doubt for a second that one or two of you would have!).

For those of you down south looking for that noise suppressor, BikeBandit lists it in inventory.

T.

KC9KAS wrote:
tnoort...I know exactly what you are talking about. Removed the one on the trike to put different engine guards on, and couldn't get it back on.
I was going to try to buy a new one...have you tried to buy a new one?
And yes, I would call them **** two.....I mean too!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I made up one for a guy's 'Wing from a piece of rubber I had on hand. Used some plastic POM rivets from Harbor Freight to hold it on. Worked nice and was easy to cut off the rivet heads if needed to take the panel off.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

exavid wrote:
I made up one for a guy's 'Wing from a piece of rubber I had on hand. Used some plastic POM rivets from Harbor Freight to hold it on. Worked nice and was easy to cut off the rivet heads if needed to take the panel off.
And here I thought I had an original idea..........good on ya. No problem with the plastic rivets overheating?

T.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

No problem. It will need a washer on the inside to get a good grip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.