Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Has anyone here replaced a shifter seal on their 1500 by themselve? Looks like quite a job. The exhaust header is in the way, then when you get that off the lower frame is right in front of the shifter lever. Easier way?

Tom Bishop

`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

Its dead easy.

Put bike on main stand.

remove lower exhaust covers.

remove gear linkage (both).

get a dowel and hook out old seal.

push in new seal.

put linkages and covers back on.

only problem i had was with new seal the linkage did not flex enough to get past exhaust, so i filed a little off the back of the linage so it would squeeze between the exhaust and the gear bar going out of engine. (only needed about 0.5mm).

It took me less than an hour.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

I recall needing a Dremal Tool with a small (1/8" thick x 5/8" dia) grinding stone, to remove a tiny bit of material from the shift linkage... I forget the detail, but something required a bit more room to come out.

Easy job though

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
imported post

My seal was easy to get out. It shrunk so much it was just hanging there out of the hole already. I just remember taking the gear shift lever off. On my 88 i must have been able to get in there without taking the shield off. The new seal pushed in pretty easy and hasn't leaked yet.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

A good trick here is to thread the seal onto the shaft and DON'T seat it until you've reconnected the exterior link-lever...

Without the seal in position, the shaft will flex nicely and allow you to get the bits all back assembled, and that same play will allow you to seat the new seal (I had a bit of 5mm square basswood that was an AWESOME and safe pry-bar for setting that seal!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.