Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 98 SE to buy. The original owner converted it from pegs/ toe shifter to floorboards and a heel / toe shifter. It seems t me like they are not a proper fit. I've never used a heel toe before, but my foot either fits on top of the heel toe pegs, or my toes / ball of my foot hits the floor board. Shouldn't my foot fit flat on the floorboard then slide to the heel or toe shifter as needed? Would it be difficult to just convert it back to a peg and toe shifter? The foot brake pedal seem just as screwy, it has a back piece for your heel to sit on,looks likes second brake lever,but doesn't move. Neither side lets my foot sit flat on the floor board. The bike otherwise looks like it is in excellent shape, and well cared for. It's enough out of my comfortable budget I can still afford it, but spending money on new floorboards won't happen by the time I put I new fluids,etc.
thx.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,695 Posts
I have a '98SE with floorboards.

I tend to agree with you. Your feet 'will not' just slide to the shifter from the floorboards. You must lift your foot up and move it forwards or backwards to get onto the brake or shifter pedals.

I gave it 3,000 miles to get used to it.... I am pulling the floorboards off and going back to the OEM setup. I hate it that I can't control the footbrake in a right hand turn with power ON at slow speeds. Floorboards don't allow that kind of finesse.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Floorboards: EXACTLY What John said. Tried on mine when I got it. NO SLOW SPEED parking lot manuevering with those on the bike.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
While I love the floorboard set up on my VTX , I found the set up awkward that came on my new to me 97 GL1500A, for me the sitting position of the GW is better suited to the stock set up..I found everything I needed to go back stock on fleabay....good luck

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Indeed, floorboards are miserable on a 'Wing. Two Goldwings I bought had them. Grinding on mild turns, crappy shift linkage, awkward brake, harder to reach the ground on a cambered road are some of the things I didn't like. You really don't get much more leg room because of the cylinder heads so boards don't make much sense. It's a lot different on a cruiser where you have forward controls and sit on the base of your spine. One very nice thing to have on any 'Wing are highway pegs. Very good on long rides so you can stretch your legs out. On a 1500 it's worth converting the early type of engine guards to the later style without the outward bent curved piece which will hit you in the ankles if you have highway pegs. It's a simple bolt on change and makes the bike a lot more comfortable on a long ride.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Floor boards and heel to toe came on my 1500 when I got it in July. I hated them at first, was willing to hank them and let my feet dangle......

However after almost 9000 miles, Im getting use to them.

I may get a set of used pegs one day and try it without the boards but right now they work for me. You just have to get use to lifting your feet, which I have and shifting is never Fast........ Never!

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
.....Shouldn't my foot fit flat on the floorboard then slide to the heel or toe shifter as needed? ......
No. If it did you would not be able to move the shifter as the board would then be in the way.

....I hate it that I can't control the footbrake in a right hand turn with power ON at slow speeds. Floorboards don't allow that kind of finesse.
I don't have any problems with mine. Then again, I don't try to drag the boards at low speeds.

Indeed, floorboards are miserable on a 'Wing......
....or not....

I love mine, and I have had three Wings with them.

Here is the deal: If you still want to drag the ground on corners or play 'joe-moto', you will have problems. If you plan to ride LIKE YOU HAVE FLOOR-BOARDS, you might like them. As far as having to lift/move my feet; yes, but I have to move my feet with the stock pegs anyway to work both the shifter and the brake. As a matter of fact, I have tested it and I can shift and brake quicker with the set-up on the boards VS. the stock set up.

You decice.

Bill

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
I think a riders height has a lot to do with floorboards "working" or "not working". For me, at 6'3" tall, the floorboards fixed a cramping problem, so I wouldn't be without them. If I drag them it is only because I want to and I have a lot of fun while riding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.