Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have recently restored a 1976 gl1000ltd and am curious as to what rpm everyone usually shifts gears at, and what speeds they shift at.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

My 1200 liked the 2500 to 3000 rpm range. That is in normal traffic conditions here.:waving:

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

HUNH!!???

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I was only curious because mine seems to run a little rough at lower speeds when rpm are under 3000

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The '75 and '76 GL1000s are the lowest geared 'Wings. Shift them where it feels good they don't mind revving up. Definitely don't like lugging.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Randakk suggest reving high. Shifting above 3k and not running below 3k. They run better up high. The old wings were supposed to be sport touring. If you ride as suggested , you shouldnt hit 5th gear till the highway speeds.5th = overdrive

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

If your bike is running rough at lower rpm you may need to synchronize your carberators.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I just had the carbs synched and bike runs great as long as i keep bike at or above 3000rpm. Thanks for the info i wasnt sure if reving up higher would be good on the engine but now i wont worry about it and just ride it the way it wants to be rode. The bike is like a rocket at 3500rpm lots of fun if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

These older wings really come alive at around 6000 rpm.

As others have said they don't like to be lugged and around town I'd keep it in the 3000 rpm range which keeps your options open.

On the road 4000 in 5th equates to about 70 mph.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.