Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi

This is my first post. Just finished refurbishing my newly aquired 82 Interstate. Took a ride and found the "heal toe" shifter a bit dificult to use. I was thinking of going back to original shift lever. Would I also need to use foot pegs instead of the floorboards?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Net, Joe!:waving::waving:

I had a 'heel and toe' shifter and floorboards on my 1200 when I got it and took it off about three days later. Just didn't like the clumsy thing. Didn't care for the floorboards either. I don't think you are going to have much toe room with the floorboards on, you can try it, but think you're going to need pegs. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

BTW if you'll put your location in your profile it will make it easier for members to answer questions or suggest sources of parts and such, the folks on this forum are scattered all over the world, the site of course is based in Ireland, that's why there's an occasional appearance of a bit of Blarney. And speakin' of Blarney, if you do add your location it will keep the old guy (REDWING) from yelling at his dog.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Hi Joe M, first thing to check is the shift mechanism adjustment and movement. Make sure the shifter is not binding anywhere and make certain that all moving parts parts are lubricated. You can also optimize the angles it works in to make it more comfortable for you to shift depending on which shifter you're using.

There are different types of heel toe shifters for your bike. Any chance you could post a pic of your shifter for examination by the guys here?

If you do go back to the stock shifter it would be best to use the stock pegs as well because the floorboards may interfere with the clearance needed to operate the stock shifter, but, I belive that if you get the heel/toe shifter working right you may regret going back to the stock shifter and pegs.

Vic

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

The very first thing I did to my bike was get rid of the heel-toe shifters and floorboards. Very awkward to use, and the floorboards were always in the way.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

at one point I put the @#*%@ things on my 1000... hated them and I found that the floorboards intefered with my foot position when stopped and my feet were down. Now on my harley... well they are designed right.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Joe M wrote:
Hi

This is my first post. Just finished refurbishing my newly aquired 82 Interstate. Took a ride and found the "heal toe" shifter a bit dificult to use. I was thinking of going back to original shift lever. Would I also need to use foot pegs instead of the floorboards?
Joe M, it's all in what you are used to I guess. Us old Harley riders love them. The heel/toe shifter must be set up perfectly for the rider on the Wing or it feels awkward as a first date. I set my heel part as low as possible & not interfere with the foot board. Sometimes it also helps to bend the lever a little to get better heel clearance.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

I HAD the floor board setup on my bike when i bought it. THEY SU##ED!!!!!!

Made the bike hard to drive and it just did not feel right even after a few hundred miles of trying to get useto them. Went and got the original foot peg setup and it is SOOOOOOO much better:cheeky1:

But i actually think someone who is shorter them i am would have liked them.

Pat

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

The one thing I don't like about the stock shifter is that on a Wing you really have to pull up hard with your toes to upshift. With the heel/toe shifter set up properly I can now slam my heel down to upshift which makes missing a gear a lot more difficult.

Initially I hated the heel/toe shifter, but, once I cut the front portion of the shifteroff just ahaed of the pivot and installed a 3/8' adjuster screw I was able to make the shifter fit me and my size 13 boots perfectly. Now I can easily slide my foot over to the shifter instead of having to lift my foot way up for every shift. Everybody's different so I guess whatever you can make work for yourself will end up being being the hot setup.

Vic

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Hi Joe M and welcome to the forum. I had the heel/toe and floorboard setup on my 1100 (first Wing)when I bought it and I didn't like the feel of it at all. The boards I liked but the act of changing gear with this setup didn't feel natural. I probably would have adaptyed, but as I was new to Goldwings at the time it was a major change of life just adapting to all that weight (even with a normal gearlever), so I bought a stock lever and got rid of the boards.
You can't use the boards with the stock gear lever.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

hey Joe welcome to the forum... your very first thread and one that people have strong feelings about... as we all know, sometimes there are no right answers

enjoy your wing!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That's a fact, kinda like the oil discussion. I was surprised when I got my 1500 I was a bit leery that it might be difficult for me to operate the stock shifter, my 1200 was really tight, I had one pair of shoes that made it difficult for me to get my toe under the lever. I thought with the extra cylinder down there the 1500 would be worse.To my surprise there is more room around the shifter on the 1500. I haven't measured it but suspect the the engine was moved forward a bit when they relocated the radiator.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

I have over 20,000 miles with floor boards and a heal/toe shifter. It took 3,000 miles to adapt myself. Now I would not be without them. This is my sixth street bike but the first with this system. It was a challenge at first then it became an asset. If I had not listened to the advise of a friend, I would have removed them early on. I know better now. BUT it is a personal preference. You must be happy with your bike and no one else really matters. I suggest waiting a while longer to see if it grows on you. If not go back to stock.

I have had to replace the friction devices on the bottoms on my boards, I can drag them easily in the mildest of corners. I used white nylon material and fabricated them myself. Much smother and longer lasting than the original black plastic.

Ron

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thank you all for your responses. I have decided to go back to the original configuration, after all it was designed that way. And I think the designers of this bike knew what they were doing.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Hi Joe,

I now have two Goldwings. One with regular shifter and one with the toe/ heal and floorboards. It was awkward at first getting use to the floorboards and the shifter. What I found is I pivot my foot when shifting. For the downshifts I put my heal on the floorboard and use my toe for the shifter. For up shift, my toe is on the floorboard and my heal is on the back shifter. This feels for natural for me than trying to left my leg onto the shifter and rock it.

Now that I'm getting use to it, I like the comfort of the floorboards on the freeway. The whole bike has an even more solid feel to it.Ijust got the Aspen back on the road so I haven't done much canyon riding. That will be the real test. If I scrape too much, off they go.

One thing I have found out that my passenger likes the rear floorboards since she's able to put her feet flat on them. As many of us has said, it's what's the most comfortable for you. You can always sell the floorboards on E bay if you decide you don't like them.

Jerry:clapper:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

WIB (woman in back) likes the passenger floorboards. Okay with me, they don't bother me. GIF (guy in front) doesn't like floorboards, they make nasty noises on curves more often than pegs do.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

When I got my 87 Aspencade it had floorboards and a toe/heel shift. I hated it.

After 4000 odd miles I've come to quite like it, but certainly takes some getting used to. The 1200 and mine in particular has a clumpy gear box and the toe/heel shift allows for more definate shifting and the shift is much smoother if you pre-tension it, which is almost a natural occurrance with the toe/heel shift.

Yes the floor boards do scrape on the twisty bits but I quite like that.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

I didnt like the heel toe shifter on my 81 gl1100 but I liked the footboards,so I took a standard shifter, heated it with a torch, and bent it up far enough to get my toes under it but not so far that it wouldnt complete the gear change without running into the cylinder. This works.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Joe M :waving:Shep and myself welcome you to the forum :clapper:and we both hope that you enjoy the banter. :clapper:Yeah some of these wings have loads of rubbish on them when you buy them. :whip: Just do what exavid did when he bought his :15red:take all the rubbish off and sell it on ebay and get some extra bucks for yourself. :jumper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

This was the worst case of overdressing a wing :stumped:that i have seen in a long time. :whip:

:crying::18red::crying:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Hey Redwing:waving: Good one,:clapper:

:12red::cooldj:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.