Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1991 Anniversary Edition Goldwing. I have several little problems, but the one I am wondering if someone might help me with is the grinding sound I get when I shift from first gear to second. The clutch seems to take hold at the right time and when I pull it in it releases the gear exactly as it should so I don't understand why it insist on grinding no matter how tight I hold the lever in. Also, it doesn't seem to matter how fast I pull out from a stop or at what rpm I shift out of first. I have tried everything and it still grinds. Is there a transmission oil that could be low and cause this? I have check the engine oil and the final drive oil and they are both okay. My question is: Is this just the nature of the beast or is there something wrong that could be remedied? Any help would be greatly appreciated.:bowing:

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

There is no seperate oil for the transmision. The engine oil is the same oil that flows all through the transmission. Not sure why it's grinding. I assume it's not doing this in any other gear. Has this just started or something gradual that has appeared? When was the oil last changed? It might be as simple as changing the oil.

Don't worry someone else will be along to add their coments.....

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Please explain grinding in detail. Is if for sure a grinding noise? Or is it a clunk or ratcheting type sound.

If for sure a grinding noise, the only thing I can think of would be a worn shift fork and also the slider gear worn, not wanting to fully engage , kinda hops in to gear. That would cause a grinding noise. Really not much else to cause a grinding noise. But that is more of a rapid ratcheting noise.

I am betting on a worn shift fork. But do be aware all of them clunk or grind when shifted from neutral to first or first to second and they all jump just a bit when shifted into first.

Kit

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Have you changed the oil in it recently? Sometimes old/dirty oil makes them shift harder than normal.

You also might want to 'pre load' the shifter lever before you actually shift, as this helps somewhat, but as Kit has mentioned, they all 'clunk' when shifting, especially between 1st and 2nd.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the response. I tooka ride a while ago (after posting that question) and I think you are right. The noise I am hearing and feeling in the shifter is more of a clunk or a ratcheting sound than a grind. Maybe it is just the "nature of the beast" or it could be that I need an oil change. I just purchased the bike this past December so I guess I will have to get on that before riding much more. Again, thanks for your fast reply. :bowing:Gary

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thank you Kit for your reply. I think you are right the sound I am hearing and feeling in the shifter when I shift is a clunk or ratcheting type sound. I will be changing the oil and filter before riding too much more.

Thanks again,

Gary

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:) At the risk of starting an oil war, might I recommend Delo 400. Try it , cheap to try, if you do not like it nothing lost. Good oil though, and stands up to the transmission well.
One of the few I have confidence in. Does seem to quiet the noise, and shifts well.

I like Mobile One motorcycle specific 4T synthetic also, but it is extremely high priced. So I reserve that for long trips and the like.

Try the Delo might be quite surprised with it.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Try shifting immediately with no delay. Try shifting without a clutch.

If my rpms are high in neutral, the gears will grind a little. More than I like.

If I let the rpms drop too much in 1-2 shifts, they will clunk/grind. Just shift it faster and you will have no grind.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

gary777 wrote:
Thanks Kit. I will do that if I can find it.

Gary
I 2nd the Delo 400 recommendation

Should be available at all/most Walmarts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.