Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was perusing the GWRRA message boards and came across a couple of threads on the new Shinko 747 radial tires. They appear to be applicable to the GL1500 and Chromeworld is even selling them as such.

http://www.chromeworld.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=4467&categoryID=125

Has anyone here tried them yet and if so what are your impressions?

PLEASE - I've already read the countless responses on previous threads from folks who would never, ever run radials on their 1500. I'm not looking for those responses here, onlypeople who have actually tried these tires.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

Well I have a 1500 have not ran the tires yet. I did talk to chrome world a few weeks ago. I ask them about any feed back they had on the tires. They said they had sold several sets, but no replies good or bad had came back. I just went through a major deal with Metzler on a bad front tire. They did send me a new front tire N/C. I am looking to buy a set of wheels and mount up the Shinko radials. I run a radial tire on my Kawasaki Concours. And it feels a lot better than any bias tire I ever rode on. If you get a set first please reply about them. I will have a set of Shinko 747's mounted up by spring and try them along with the new Metzlers back and forth and decide what my bike likes the best.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

NeedleNick wrote:
I was perusing the GWRRA message boards and came across a couple of threads on the new Shinko 747 radial tires. They appear to be applicable to the GL1500 and Chromeworld is even selling them as such.

http://www.chromeworld.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=4467&categoryID=125

Has anyone here tried them yet and if so what are your impressions?

PLEASE - I've already read the countless responses on previous threads from folks who would never, ever run radials on their 1500. I'm not looking for those responses here, onlypeople who have actually tried these tires.
I do not think too many people have tried the Shinko radial on the 1500. It is a relatively new tire, and the first time I became aware of it was about 5 months ago.

Shinko seems to be coming right on along, when they first started showing up for sale they were quite reasonable in price, but lately you can see how they have also jumped in price. Normal name brand tires are up to 180 dollars each for a rear tire now, the Shinko is about 140 or so. So they are becoming more popular as people do discover them.

I honestly do not see a problem with the use of a radial used on the 1500. Many stories abound about that, and many will say the suspension is not designed for the tire, but I really see no difference between it and the 1800. I think it was just that the radial tire was not available during the introduction of the 1500, and a company or two did try to develop a radial for the 1500 but had seperation problems with the tires. They did not get the sidewalls right. A lot of time has passed since that time and radials have became stock factory installed on a whole lot of bikes now.

I really do not think it makes any difference. Some of us have been known to put a bias ply tire designed for the rear on our bikes.(on the front tire) We use tires such as the bridgestone battlax or the pirelli sport demon. Rear bias ply tires installed on the front of the 1800 for tread depth, wear and better traction on the road. This has backfired some as the deeper tread depth tends to be more prone to cupping. But posed no handling or safety issues. Many use them on the trikes also.

The shinko is a japanese made tire, so I would assume it is a quality product, but have no knowledge of it, and I am set in my ways about tires, so if I purchase a tire it will say bridgestone on it.

I will also be quite interested in the use of the shinko on the 1500. Quite curious about that.

Kit

I just looked at the link above and the price, better grab while the grabbing is good, several other stores are much more than that. Also looking closely at the tread pattern it seems to be an exact copy of the dunlop D250, the tread is exactly the same.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I've been following those. Seems everyone is saying you try 'em first.

aka, they are unproven, but some folks like to be the guinnea pigs.

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I would be VERY tempted to try a set of them myself but I just put new Michelin Pilot GTs on my 1500 earlier this year and am quite happy with them. :action:

No doubt there will be some who do give them a try and will share their impressions at some future date.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

NeedleNick wrote:
I would be VERY tempted to try a set of them myself but I just put new Michelin Pilot GTs on my 1500 earlier this year and am quite happy with them. :action:

No doubt there will be some who do give them a try and will share their impressions at some future date.
;)I'm really interested in those Pilot GTs, too! But I was taken aback by my tire guys' reply when I asked about them. Mind you I'm interested in a decent mileage return so . . . he suggested I reconsider because it would be a softer/stickier compound and would wear quickly through the summer commute and tour season.

I'm not financially strong enough to be changing tires at a 50% wear rate and/or mounting fresh tread for the fall. So I have to compromise on the compound I choose and run them till they're worn-out.

I would love to hear how they perform for you, could you keep me advised?

Steve in White Salmon, WA

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

If your question is specific to running radials on a 1500, I can't help since I don't have a 1500. But, if you are curious about Shinko quality, I have some experience with their tires on my Suzuki Bandit 1200. I am running the 009 radials on my Bandit. Those are the least sticky/longest lasting sport-touring tires they sell. I am very satisfied with the quality and the ride of the Shinkos. They have done exactly what I wanted which is to last a long time while offering me a decent amount of traction. I do not drag my knee through corners so I did not need something better. However, I know of several guys on a Bandit forum who mounted the sportier tires and they were also happy.

When I have to replace the tires on my GW1100, I will look at what Shinko has to to offer.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I'm thinking about trying a rear Shinko, when I waste the present Bridgestone. I'm reading some good reviews, like on RA and 1800 boards. Wish I knew about the 1500 use.

Here's a little history of Shinko.

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/about.php

I was surprised that they're imported to Boise, Id. I would think the coast would be the real deal.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

Jerry Powell is currently test riding a set of Shinkos on his 1500. You can search their blog and get a couple of in-depth reports on them.

I currently have Pilot GTs on mine, and my next ones will probably be Shinkos. My brother also is about half way through a set of Shinkos on his 1800 and loves them so far.

bikeknight52, I have 13000 miles on my Pilot GTs, and still enough tread for more. The only problem I've had with them is the rear tire looking somewhat like a paddle-wheel tire for the sand, but it rides OK still. If it gets any worse, I'll take them off. The front had a valve stem go bad about 75 miles from home--at night--with nothing open. I kept it aired up and rode it home, and had it fixed the next day. (I didn NOT ride it flat, so save the flame!)That was 6000 miles ago and the front is still straight and true!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

I am happy to note this thread is honoring NeedleNick's request to keep it clean and factual.

I will be watching the Shinko tires also to see how they do.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

bikeknight52 wrote:
;)I'm really interested in those Pilot GTs, too! But I was taken aback by my tire guys' reply when I asked about them. Mind you I'm interested in a decent mileage return so . . . he suggested I reconsider because it would be a softer/stickier compound and would wear quickly through the summer commute and tour season.
I'm relatively new to the Pilot GT's, but here's my experience so far. I bought them in August when I purchased my 2000SEwith under 9,000 miles. I now have over 19,000 miles, so 10,000 miles into the tires, and I have at least 1/2 the tread left. Most of the miles are highway miles, so I know that will play a big part in the overall life of them, but I'm very happy with what I'm seeing so far. As for performance, they are great. I ride in quite a bit of rain, and these tires are great in the wet too.

John

·
Premium Member
63,048 Posts
imported post

Quite a bit of rain ?? I hear that most everyone in Washington have webbed feet and 2 days without rain is a state emergency..............

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
Quite a bit of rain ?? I hear that most everyone in Washington have webbed feet and 2 days without rain is a state emergency..............
:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
:D:dude::cheeky1:That is amusing! And Port Orchard enjoys a greater proportion of that legendary rainfall than the Columbia Gorge does; But the true irony ofthat humor is the realitythat the state is in an extendeddrought!

Check out this shot I took [during my '07Labor Day weekend"Run-About"] of the high altitude forest just east of the Washington Pass. This was at the 53-5400' elevation. I believe the smog was from several fires ablaze 7-800+ miles away in the southeast corner of the state.

Overall the green isstressed and there is disturbing proportion of BROWN thru-out; not good.

Attachments

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

bikeknight52 wrote:
Foodman wrote:
:D:dude::cheeky1:That is amusing! And Port Orchard enjoys a greater proportion of that legendary rainfall than the Columbia Gorge does; But the true irony ofthat humor is the realitythat the state is in an extendeddrought!
Don't be lettin' this stuff out! We have enough people migrating here already. If they find out that it doesn't rain here all the time like the reports we keep spreading, we're gonna get even more moving in. SHHHHHH!!;)

John

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

I was stationed at Ft. Lewis many, many, many years ago and traveled the state quite a lot, I loved it there.

I failed to mention that I know nothing about the Shinko tires but am interested in hearing from those who have tried them. I still have quite a few miles left on my loud Dunlops.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I have a Shinko on the front P.O. replaced before my buying it. I have a Metzeler on the rear I just put on so only about 2000 miles difference between the two. I will keep an eye on the front and see what happens with it.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

Well it took a little longer than I had planned but I now havwe a swet of Shinko radials on a 1500. I had ordered a set of Shinko's to go on my Kawasaki Concours. Yesterday I ended up buying a second 1500. Pretty nice bike but tires were junk. Date code 2001 and front worn completely out. I mounted the Shinko's and went out for a short ride. First impression is. :action: Very happy with the ride. Smooth is almost an understatement. I will report back in a day or 2 after a few miles on them. I may even take the bike to Kentucky in the next few days. Down and straight back. So that will be 6 to 7 hundred in a day. That will be a good test.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
imported post

I had Shinko 747s front and rear on my 1800. Just on the rear, now. The front developed several large blisters in the main tread area at ~ 7800 miles. I replaced it with a 'stone. I thought the wobble had grown really bad in just one day!

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Wow this thread I started has some long legs. Thanks for all the comments so far and obviously there are many other Wingers out there curious about the Shinko radials.

Ghost Rider 2 - Keep us informed as you rack up the miles on those Shinkos.

My near-neighbor John (Jluvs2dive) seems to have the straight scoop on the Michelin Pilot GTs. Great handingAND long fife. I've only about 6500 miles on my GTs and they are showing very little wear so it will be at least next year before I can sample the Shinkos.

Keep on Wingin' :action:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.