Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone tried shinko tourmaster 230 tires? I've just ordered a full set for $118.99 inc delivery for the 1200, they look good on paper V rated and 992lbs for the rear.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

Do you have a link where you ordered them for that price?

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

is this shinko 230 a bias ply tire?

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yes, I can't find any reviews so I know nothing on traction or wear issues but I'm willing to give them a try at that price

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

Anyone have any info on the 712's also???

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Never tried those but have ran 2 sets from JCW for around the same price. Run some Dyna Beads in them and you get more mileage out of them. The beads keep the tire constantly balance allowing for even wear. I just switched back over to WW and run them in mine. Great item that runs around $10 for 2-2oz bags.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

The front and rear 230 has a 4 ply rating which I think is good. I used a d404 dunlop which is 3 ply face and 2 ply side but met load ratings and developed a wobble. I think it had to do with the sidewall being only 2 ply. The shinko has a 4 ply face so should be 3 ply sidewall. hard to find specs for it. Shinko bought out yokahama. web site http://www.shinkotireusa.com/about.php Be careful saving money, I have tried in the past and spent more correcting the results.and dyna beads are great.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

What are dyna beads?????????????

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

They a "beads" that you put into the tire and they fly aroudn and settle in to balance the tire..can be removed at tire change and reused..a real time balancer...

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

I noticed that in my size of Shinko, they are 6ply V rated, Will these be harder, ie not as soft to the road as the 4plY?

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

morriscatt, I have the tech data sheets and they are all 4 ply for the tourmaster series. What size do the 1100's need?

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
imported post

I was looking at the prices of the Shinko compared to the Elite III's I have always run and I can't believe the price difference. I'm almost afraid that being that cheap, I'll end up spending more money in the same amount of time then I get out of the III's. Haven't come across any reviews of the Shinko yet from anybody that's used them.

Ok, adding to my message - to clarify, I did read some customer reviews, but not from anybody that has gone through their first set completely yet.

And the Dyna Beads, I would like to try them myself. I am going to on my next tire change.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

I can't tell you about the Shinko, but I can attest that the Kenda has worked out very well for me..I'm not sure, but I think it's Taiwanese...A little bit noisy in the turns, but not a big deal with me.. Actually a very, very good value..

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
imported post

I'm running Shinko radials on my GL1800. I have about 5000 on the front, maybe 3000 on the rear. They look identical to Dunlop D250's (that my 2006 was shod with when new), but grip MUCH better. Shinkos are made in Korea. Bought mine from Honda Direct Line. They are very smooth riding, with good but not great grip. I run Dynabeads in mine, too.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

chesterwgunn wrote:
I can't tell you about the Shinko, but I can attest that the Kenda has worked out very well for me..I'm not sure, but I think it's Taiwanese...A little bit noisy in the turns, but not a big deal with me.. Actually a very, very good value..
I think your Corge is a great looking dog. I have a 1/2 breed and she is great. I wish I had a tonge that long......lol......

·
Ole Guy
170 Posts
imported post

My 1985 GL1200 sat for a year without being moved. The day came to move it around. The tires were very soft and I could harly roll it around. Well, they must need some air. Got the keys and started it up, finally managed to get it turned around and out of the garage. Two miles to the gas stations for air. The tires were really soft and it was a spongy ride at 50 mph, but managable, rode awfully stiff and hard to steer. Just before I aired it up I decide to check the air presure. It was zero in both tires. Well, you can ride with flat tires, if they have stiff side walls. The thicker the side walls and the more plies the better off you are. They were Michelian tires. Use good tires as you might be safer when they loose air.
I also had a cheap front tire once that was ran from Mississippi to Tyler Tx in the summer heat. The next morning the front tire was so deformed as it cooled that evening that it had permanent lumps. Not round anymore and unridable -- it was finished. I rode it to the shop at 15 mph and bought a new one. The mechanic explained it was just a cheap tire and sold me Michelian.

You really do get what you pay for.

Ole Guy

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

chesterwgunn wrote:

Don't know what Kenda you are running but I had a kruzer (I think) on the rear of my 1100 and noticed as the tire wore the edges of the tread did not wear evenly and actually felt like a knobby tire in the turns.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I got my shinko 230 tourmaster tire today and I hope I am wrong but I don't think that it will give good mileage. It seems to be a very soft compound. So soft that I can easily push a finger nail into it. granted it doesnt leave a mark but the tire feels very soft. Probably great for cornering and grip in the rain, but we will see. I will keep you all posted on mileage and handling.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

I looked at those Shinko 230's last night but the sizes available don't seem to be the correct sizes for the wing? What size were you able to get them in?

I went with the 733/734 front rear tires and will keep you all posted. I have the Elite II's now and just don't feel safe on even the smallest of curves.

I'll trade tread life for grip anyday!

I hope the Shinko's I bought are not a disapointment because I changed my mind at the last minute as I already had the Michelin Pilot GT's in the shopping cart when I changed to the Shinko's. I have alot of experience and alot of technical knowledge regarding Michelin tires and based on that I should have just bought them.

Anyway, has anyone found the best place to order the dynabeads and new valve stems on the internet? A couple site recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.