Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a 98 SE that I just bought last Thursday. While riding on 2 lane hwy at 55, it rides and straight and true, but on the interstate it swims or swerves at 70 MPH. I have checked the swing arm for play and its tight. I have read some reviews by some people that have the Shinko 747s on wings and some hate them for this reason, others praise them. I talked to the shop i got the bike from and they agreed that the tires were more than likely the problem. Any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
imported post

Have you checked the pressure, I think you want 41 PSI in both.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

yes tires are at 41 psi, have tried higher and lower pressures. no difference in handling. i have read posts on other sites and some have had the same problems.

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
imported post

Could be those tires even though they fit may not be made to handle the weight of a 1500 Goldwing.

G

·
imported post

I think shinko makes a tire for the goldwing.
Im thinking about putting some on mine when i need some.
The price is cheap,but that might be the downfall.
Cheap price, cheap tire.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

This Shinko tire is supposed to be the only radial made for the Goldwings, some others have made them but have since stopped due to problems with them. they are rated for the weight and said to be for Goldwings. The guys at the shop told me today that Shinko is being sued by another tire company for copying the tread pattern of another company, so I cant even get another set to try and resolve the problem without buying both tires, I think the problem is with the rear tire only.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
imported post

I run the 747's on my 1990. I have put 7,000 miles on a set. Personally I like them. I did have a belt break in the rear. But I got a free replacement. I have ran mine 1 up and 2. No swimming problems I have noticed. I rode the dragon with them. Had 2 friends on Harleys and they could not even stay close to me. They handle very well.

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
imported post

I looked at Shinko tires and the only ones I could find in the size for 1500s is not a radial but has tread exactly like the Dunlop D404s. Interesting, I would find another brand.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

What pressures do you run in your 747s Ghost Rider 2? I have the recomended pressure at 41 front and rear.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I have right at 10K on my front Shinko. PO installed them. They seem to be ok, but I dont have anything to compare them too...yet. They are cupping, but I'll probably make them go until winter sets in. I dont know how many miles the PO put on, I'd venture (is that a bad word :D) to guess around 1K or less.

I am buying a Michelin Pilot GT next time, providing they are still to be had.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

I know on another site someone mentioned there front fork bearings were either loose or older stile not roller and it caused the bike to wobble abit at higher speeds. Said tighend/replaced bearings and solve the problem. Dont know any more on that just what I think I saw?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

my 1100 had a tendancy to 'wander' or 'wobble' on the bars from about 65 upwards and i found out the front axle was not torqued correctly before it was clamped in place, might be worth checking
undo the front axle clamps and check wether the axle is tight in the wheel before clamping backup

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

Sometimes NEW tires will Bring OUT an exsisting problem. Meaning you might have had ,loose steering,loose front axle shaft,or what have you. Old tires wore with the bike,Now the new tires amplifies the loose ??????

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
imported post

RadioMan98 wrote:
What pressures do you run in your 747s Ghost Rider 2? I have the recomended pressure at 41 front and rear.
That is where I run mine. Every tire I have used on a Goldwing. I have ran at 41. Saw a tire come into a bike shop. Owner complained he only got about 7000 miles from it. The shop owner ask him about preasure. He said he does not bother to check. It had 28 pounds. So I guess low pressure is a lot worst than high.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Just got a set a month ago........Love the price.........they stole Dunlop II tread pattern to the tee. I just put 1800 miles on them. Up to 80 mph they were perfet....a lil shakey in deep turns, haven't been in the rain yet. I give them a 7 out of 10..I was riding Dunlop3

Attachments

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

wing2wing wrote:
Just got a set a month ago........Love the price.........they stole Dunlop II tread pattern to the tee. I just put 1800 miles on them. Up to 80 mph they were perfet....a lil shakey in deep turns, haven't been in the rain yet. I give them a 7 out of 10..I was riding Dunlop3
Howdy Wing2wing and Welcome from down south. :waving:

I will be anxious to hear how those go through the life of the tire. Thanks!

G

·
imported post

Yea wing2wing keep us informed on the tires.
Im thinkin about putting some on mine.
WELCOME FROM MISSISSI!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

Ghost Rider 2 wrote:
I run the 747's on my 1990. I have put 7,000 miles on a set. Personally I like them. I did have a belt break in the rear. But I got a free replacement. I have ran mine 1 up and 2. No swimming problems I have noticed. I rode the dragon with them. Had 2 friends on Harleys and they could not even stay close to me. They handle very well.
Belt break?

That would be enough to convince me not to buy another!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.