Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was having the ride of my life going to Dallas to see the Cowboys get stomped ...bummer!!!!!And then came to see my family in Southern Indiana and was having a blast and then somebody rear ended me yesterday sitting at a stop light and me and my bike went down hard. I am ok just beat up, debating xrays for the left ankle as it didn't like 900 pounds sitting on it. I actually picked the bike up myself and and it started and no fluids leaking or anything. It is mostly cosmetic damage on rear and side but a fair amount. I drove it to my sisters 10 miles away and I of course was real nervous. It has developed a low speed shimmy when I let go of the handle bars and it wants to bank real hard left so I am not riding it 1500 miles home, really can't anyway with the left side bag all munched. I was wondering if anyone knows a good company to ship or anything I need to watch out for as I try to find one. I sure hope they don't total my freakin bike cause it is worth way more to me and any other wing people than Kelly Blue Book says it is.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Sorry to hear this. The other guy has good insurance I hope..........

You can rent a small Uhaul and that would get you and the Wing back home, at a relatively cheaper cost.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I checked uhaul and it is about $950 plus gas from here to Salt Lake. I can fly for $300 or so and shipping I am thinking is about $650 so about the same minus the gas. I really don't want to fly so still looking at that for an option. It would be better since me and my wing would be home at the same time.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Hey guy glad you are OK. I hate to hear of anyone getting hurt..Keep us informed as to how you are doing. On shipping yeah I seen this 1500 Wing and fell in love, that is until I seen the shipping charges, then I fell out of love. It would be nice if some of the members that have trailers would "relay" you and your Wing home...Just a thought..

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
That sucks. Glad you are still around to write about it!

Wouldn't you be able to claim the expense of the Uhaul and gas from the other guys insurance? When it comes to moving things that matter the most to me, I usually on trust one person: me. Wish I lived that way and could help with the relay!

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya he has insurance and I am sure I will get reimbursed but it is about cash flow and I have the cash just think Bank of America probably wants the house payment. A uhaul is $940 plus gas and that would be $500 I am sure. Budget was $750 but no trucks available until Tuesday and I have to work Tuesday. It is going to be a hassle but in the end it will all work out I am sure. I will keep you posted but anyone got ideas I am all for them. I don't want to use a shipper, I have heard bad stories and that is around $700 plus a plane ticket for me about $350.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Uhaul does not do one way rentals with pick-up trucks. You would need to rent a box van. There are no tiedown provisions for a motorcycle in their box vans. There are wooden strips along the walls that would most likely fail in securing a wing.
They do not allow the hauling of combustible liquids in their box vans. You would need to be discrete. I know someone who just hauled 2 wings in a 14' Uhaul box van. He built a framework out of 2x4's and ratchet straps. Expect about 10 miles per gallon.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,850 Posts
Yes,

just go the u-haul box van, you are just moving stuff in your apartment..... what they don't know ain't going to hurt them.

If you keep that box van below 65 mph it actually will do pretty decent on fuel mileage. I rented a 26 ft uhaul and it got over 11 mpg from Phoenix to Tulsa

surely the 14' version should do as well or better. It is all wind resistance.. You pay dearly if you want to play heavy and fast on the throttle.

all of the new U-Hauls now have an Economy Gauge on them. If you keep that thing in the green, those newer engines can actually do a darn good job on economy.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Glad to hear you're alright. As someone who was self employed for many years and having had to deal with insuracnce companies, put it back on them. Contact the insurance company and tell them you need the bike back home with you. It's wrecked thanks to their insured and tell them you want THEM to recommend a shipping company. If anything happens to the bike in shipping they can't come back and say "...you should have checked with us first". Also, tell them that you want them to pay for it as it's a lot of cash outlay that you don't feel you should have to wait to get reimbursed, because it will be forever. If they try to push for you to ride it home take it to the local Honda dealer for a quick once over; guarantee they will tell you in writing that it can't be ridden far if at all (make 'em pay for that too!). Push 'em...they're lucky you weren't hurt worse than you were. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Uhaul does not do one way rentals with pick-up trucks. You would need to rent a box van. There are no tiedown provisions for a motorcycle in their box vans. There are wooden strips along the walls that would most likely fail in securing a wing.
They do not allow the hauling of combustible liquids in their box vans. You would need to be discrete. I know someone who just hauled 2 wings in a 14' Uhaul box van. He built a framework out of 2x4's and ratchet straps. Expect about 10 miles per gallon.
Carried two GL's in a 17-foot U-haul from Pensacola, FL to Los Angeles using those wooden slats on the sides of the U-haul and ratchet straps. No problem. Arrived in fine condition.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Glad to hear you're alright. As someone who was self employed for many years and having had to deal with insuracnce companies, put it back on them. Contact the insurance company and tell them you need the bike back home with you. It's wrecked thanks to their insured and tell them you want THEM to recommend a shipping company. If anything happens to the bike in shipping they can't come back and say "...you should have checked with us first". Also, tell them that you want them to pay for it as it's a lot of cash outlay that you don't feel you should have to wait to get reimbursed, because it will be forever. If they try to push for you to ride it home take it to the local Honda dealer for a quick once over; guarantee they will tell you in writing that it can't be ridden far if at all (make 'em pay for that too!). Push 'em...they're lucky you weren't hurt worse than you were. Good luck.

I think this is a wise recommendation!

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Glad your not hurt to bad! Where was the accident? Wish I still had the last Wing World magazine! There was a company out of Fort Wayne,IN (I think) that ships bikes. I can't remember the company or the artical.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts

I would try and go with this option. Saves you a lot of windshield time driving a rough riding Uhaul and you could fly home while bike is shipped by insurance company.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Contact an attorney right away!
First you do not know till later how bad your injuries may be!
Next, if you miss any work the insurance probably has to cover that also!

If your banged up a bit trying to push such a long trip in short time in a rental truck may not be the best thing for you!
If your boss is understanding in such matters as not your fault you were hit and hurt, then you may get some PAID time off from work thanks to the insurance! Won't cost your job anything other than you having a leave of absence unpaid by them.

An attorney will help protect you on the loose of your bike to some degree perhaps also if claimed totaled. Like you said it's probably worth more to you than anyone else with any additions of custom stuff, knowing the maintenance is all done and done correct etc... which is a crap shoot if you just replace the bike.

You ARE entitled to damages beyond just medical bills and bike cost!
Your entire vacation has just been ruined! There is pain and suffering to what ever degree, you have stress right now about how to get home yourself and how to get the bike home etc....
Instead of out riding having a good time as planed your whole vacation that is costing you lots of money is totally ruined!
Not only is tis vacation gone now, but how long till you can once again have the time and money to do it again later?

The insurance companies rip us off, lie to us, raise rates for no reason on our parts, they are not our friends and when we have a legitimate claim we should make it for all it's worth!

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Glad you were not injured badly!

Another thing about getting the attorney, if insurance tries to rip you off with a low price on the bike as they often do, then you can make up that money on the other claims like pain and suffering etc.. !

I pay about $1300 a year for nothing but liability on my autos and another $600 for full coverage on 2 1500's, no tickets, no accidents, and I'd rather YOU have the $15K I paid in like 10 years than just be all profits to some insurance company for basically NOTHING but to be legal with a crappy 1 cent piece of paper!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
I know I am from another country altogether, but the advise to contact the insurance company seems sound to me, as it puts the ball firmly in their court and means that they can't later try and get out of paying you for getting the bike back etc.
In the UK it would be a case of contacting your own insurance company who deal with it on your behalf and they do the contacting the other drivers company. In fact sometimes it works out that your insurance company would arrange everything and then deal with the claim back afterwards. As I say, different country, so maybe different rules, or ways of going about things, but I am sure you shouldn't be having to arrange all these things yourself and causing yourself even more grief.
So sorry to hear that this has all happened to you and so far from home at that, spoiling your vacation too.

Incidentally, I take it you aren't a member of a recovery organisation that you can use to recover the bike and you to your home?

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so I made it home with the bike. I rented a U haul and strapped it in. $1136 for u haul and $460 to the oil companies....... I couldn't wait for the adjuster from the other guy's insurance to call me they said maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. I did speak with his agent and he said my plan seemed reasonable, but of course no promise on anything. I have a bad feeling I am gonna be screwed on that part of the deal, but I didn't want it 1500 miles away trying to get it repaired, or worse have them total it and me still have to pay to ship it if I can buy it back. I have spoken to Law Tigers and since there are no real injuries (broken bones etc...) they said it will be tough to get much out of them. They charge no fee for property damage and said they will try to get my transport money as well. My insurance also said they will try to add it to the claim, but I think all this just gives the other insurance more reason to total it. As I add up the parts it is about $2000 plus labor before we see what is causing the wobble...... triple tree, fork tubes, bearings??? who knows. Like I said a low speed wobble and when I let go it banks hard left.

The other real bummer is regardless if it is all back together, they pay me for transport the resell value is now in the toilet because it has been wrecked. I know most people won't look at it at that point. If I end up with it being totaled I will need some advice here as to what to do. I owe $4500 on it still (to a long time friend), KBB lists it at $4500 to $5000.Repairs with transport are easily going to be $3000 I think I am screwed. All the money I just put into it this summer won't even be considered by the insurance companies and I have no idea how they determine how much they charge to let you buy it totaled, then you have branded title which makes it pretty much useless for resale as well. Here is a list of repairs as I see them so far

left saddle bag and lid
under piece on rear with light in it
trunk, maybe no lid
rear fender
left rear saddle bar, roll bar
left engine crash bar (not sure if it is one set?)
highway boards
Left side cover

Plus wobble and labor

More to follow.....

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Glad you made it home safe.

Just take it day by day with the insurance company, and plan on a lot of days, if they have to write a check of any nature, it will take them a while.

Take pictures of your bike to keep in a maintenance log. When you go to resell with a salvaged / rebuilt title, you can show what the damage was. We purchased a truck for my son once with a salvaged title because of hail damage, The guy had a ton of pics and the paper work from the insurance company. Made buying better for us knowing why they totaled it and we did pay less for the truck, but not rock bottom price had the seller not had all his paper work.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Sauceman I'm sorry to here about you and the bike I'm glad your ok. I know of a person in the Orem, Provo area that specializes in 1500 he might have some parts. If your interesed give me a call 801-792-4747 and I will give you his information.

Ivan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.