Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My wife and I would like to do a ride through Scotland and then cross the channel to Normandy. We used to live in Europe but are now back in Canada. Does anyone have any experience and/or advice on how to get our bike shipped over and back. I am thinking it would be much cheaper than renting a bike for two weeks.

Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

I am doing it next year. The bike and I will be on the same flight both going there and coming back. 1500SE's rigged like mine is kinda hard to find on the rental market over there....

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Care to inform those interested of the airlines which will do this and an idea of the cost, Kim?
If you plan on using a ship to transport your bike over, there are a few options you can use, but the hard part is finding a company to bring them back to this side of the Atlantic.

Dusty

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

wexy is best man to ask about shipping Goldwings, he has advised a lot of forum members about it. Send him a PM and see if he can help.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Care to inform those interested of the airlines which will do this and an idea of the cost, Kim?
If you plan on using a ship to transport your bike over, there are a few options you can use, but the hard part is finding a company to bring them back to this side of the Atlantic.

Dusty
I think he's going to try to stuff it in the overhead bin!!

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Build a steep ramp, attach rocket motors to the back of the bike and let'er rip.

Now where did get that one. Oh Right! Evil Kenevil. You had better ship it, Evil's bike failed.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:

Dusty
As a Pilot for Delta I am afraid my reply will be partial. However, I did get some info about it today asI am in training in Atlanta right now. When I find out more I will post my findings, and that will be sometimes next week. I know some people have gotten their bike on the same airplane as themself, and that is my goal too. I think in my case Amsterdam will be the best option, but there are endless options as to where to go. One criteria is that the aircraft must be a 767 or larger and that eliminate the possibility of getting the bike shipped from smaller airports.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

I'd be interested in this too - especially cost. Being on the same plane or ship as the bike would be a big plus.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

I think this has been gone through before. The big problem would be insurance here in the UK (or Europe) unless you can get your insurance at home to cover it.

It may be easier to use a UK registered bike. One possible scenario would be to buy a bike from a UK member with an agreement to sell it back at the end of the holiday. Alternatively, Silverfox used to keep a ST1100 registered in his name on behalf of Motorcycle Pete who used to come over every year and thrash it to within an inch of its life! However, finding a Uk insurance company that would cover the foriegn rider was quite a challenge I believe.

Given the current prices for 1500's in the UK, I would question the cost of shipping one across the pond and back.

Shipping a new 1800 across and selling it at the end of the holiday might be a different proposition.

Please note that I personally am not in the market for any of these options and am just floating ideas.

·
1,715 Posts
imported post

If you bring a 1800 airbag , i will buy it when you have finished your Europe travel ! (for "normal" price ).

You can stay in my house as long as you want , and i will bring you to Copenhagen airport when you want .

This is a serious offer !

And , if everyone else from this forum , need a temporary home in Denmark , I have enough space !

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

SMEDEN(=the blacksmith) wrote:
If you bring a 1800 airbag , i will buy it when you have finished your Europe travel ! (for "normal" price ).

You can stay in my house as long as you want , and i will bring you to Copenhagen airport when you want .

This is a serious offer !

And , if everyone else from this forum , need a temporary home in Denmark , I have enough space !
There's the deal right there........ great offer Smeden.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

+2 on shipping it over and selling it there. Buy a decent 1500 or 1800 over here for a fair price and shipit over.
profit from the sale may cover the one way shipping so basicaly you get to use the bike for free. I know I paid less for my 1500 than shipping it there and back would cost

Wilf

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Please stay on the subject and don't let this thread wonder off to business la la land.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Kimswang wrote:
Please stay on the subject and don't let this thread wonder off to business la la land.
want to qualify that statement? Only as I see it they are just discussing viable options and from much previous discussions and investigations here, in many threads over the years, it is not "business la la", in terms of financially viable, as say compared to what the original idea of foxtrot5 suggested. Shipping a bike here is hugely expensive.
Given the $/£/€ exchange rates, it is important that anyone coming over investigates all the options or risk being well out of pocket.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Geordiemuppet wrote:
I think this has been gone through before. The big problem would be insurance here in the UK (or Europe) unless you can get your insurance at home to cover it.

It may be easier to use a UK registered bike. One possible scenario would be to buy a bike from a UK member with an agreement to sell it back at the end of the holiday. Alternatively, Silverfox used to keep a ST1100 registered in his name on behalf of Motorcycle Pete who used to come over every year and thrash it to within an inch of its life!
If a bike is shipped by an individual to Europe then it can be ridden on the plates of the original country for some time, ( I think up to a year) before it must be registered in the country of destination or shipped back home. It may be ridden on insurance from the originating country.

Yes I do still keep the ST1100 Pan European that belonged to the late Motorcycle Pete and yes it is still available to b used by visitors and in fact two parties are intending to come this year, so it will be taken during May and then from June to August, I do believe.
PM me if you are interested in this option.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Kimswang wrote:
I am doing it next year. The bike and I will be on the same flight both going there and coming back. 1500SE's rigged like mine is kinda hard to find on the rental market over there....
Are you willing to share information on the cost of return shipping?

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

I will share my findings and post prices for all as soon as I find out. I went to the airport last week but I have to go over to International shipping which is a bit off the beaten track. Several of my coworkers have done this and had an awesome time. If you want to discuss import and export please feel free to open a new thread. This thread is about shipping your own bike for that once in a lifetime kinda adventure. If I can manage to make a deal for the members here, I will most certainly do so, and be glad to assist with all the details regarding the shipping.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Kimswang wrote:
want to qualify that statement? Only as I see it they are just discussing viable options and from much previous discussions and investigations here, in many threads over the years, it is not "business la la", in terms of financially viable, as say compared to what the original idea of foxtrot5 suggested. Shipping a bike here is hugely expensive.
Given the $/£/€ exchange rates, it is important that anyone coming over investigates all the options or risk being well out of pocket.
No offense Silver, I wast just under the imression that foxtrot5 really just wanted to ship the bike over for an adventure trip and was seaking info regarding that. It then took off to contain all sort of ideas about import, export, buying and selling. Lets keep this thread to the subject of shipping and start a new one for import / export. I have plans to come over to Europe in 2013 and would be more than happy to discuss this with you over a pint. ;)

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Well that is okay, for the definitive answer on importing and exporting then he really does need to contact Wexy as he has been doing just this for many years now and largely the bikes he has moved are Goldwings, for sale over here.
I believe since the huge crash in the $/£ he has now given up doing so, but he would still have all the info as to who to shift them through.

Naturally, if Foxtrot 5 wants to know about any other way to achieve riding here in Europe, he now needs to start other threads as you say.:bow:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

foxtrot5 wrote:
My wife and I would like to do a ride through Scotland and then cross the channel to Normandy. We used to live in Europe but are now back in Canada. Does anyone have any experience and/or advice on how to get our bike shipped over and back. I am thinking it would be much cheaper than renting a bike for two weeks.

Any feedback is appreciated.
You will need to start another thread, to get info on renting or other ways of having a motorcycle available to you in Europe, this has to be about shipping only apparently. :ssshh:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.