Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine asked if I would post this request for him.
Story in a nutshell...he's going to England in September for a family wedding.
He wants to pick up 4-5 year old 1800 off eBay...ship it to England to use while there, and tour some other countries for 3 weeks, then sell the bike over there.
He already has 3 bikes, so, is not in need of another bike...(yeah, I now, must be nice)...
He would like to know if anyone else has done this sort of thing and what the details of it were...and, if someone in England wanted to buy the Wing afterward on the condition he gets to use it for the 3 weeks??
My suggestion was that he go with one of the bike rental/touring compnies over there.
Unusual post I know...but, just wondering...if someone would have had experience with this and be able to offer some suggestions and or advice.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
When is your friend due to come to England?

Wexy is the man to ask about shipping Wings, he has shifted many from the USA to Ireland and so has plenty of insight into the pros and cons of doing this.

Renting a Goldwing in the UK is very very expensive. In reality he would be looking at costs in the region of £1000 per week.

If he is shipping a Wing, then it would probably be best if if it were newer, maybe less than a year old and the latest model. Earlier 1800's have dropped dramatically in price over the past year or more.

If he is shipping one it ought to have ABS at least as European models all have ABS and most folks would want that feature over here. It would also be best if it has CB, because that is a sought after item on a Wing, since ours don't come with them and the UK spec CB is hellishly expensive and most folks run the American band ones, so a UK CB is pretty much useless.

Depending when your friend is coming over I may be able to offer an alternative option for using a bike in Europe. ( PM me for details)

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
But.... what do you do about the steering wheel being on the wrong side...? :?
Thanks for the concern, but I never have a problem when I come over. :ROFL:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.