Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Is it worth the trouble and cost to rebuild the shocks, (1990 GL1500) or would it be better to replace them with new ones?
I imagine that the modern ones like Progressives probably perform much better, although the cost would be a lot more than re-oiling and re-kitting the old ones.
Comments?

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Matts right...... I tried to rebuild my 1200 shocks and just could not get the left one to take a seal. (3 times) I went with the progressive non-air shocks and love them...never looked back.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

I am probably the only person who has had a bad experience with progressives. I believe the stock shocks can work well, seals and oil are pretty inexpensive. My progressives were on my bike when I bought it, but the damper units were hydro-locked so it rode like a hard-tail. The company wouldn't do anything for me because I was not the original buyer and repair was the same money as replacement. I bought used stock ones from e-bay and rebuilt them and have had good luck. Progressives will ride and handle differently. a bit more firm and most people do like them. It's all preference and dollars.

good luck

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

i rebuilt mine with prog. springs using gamblers how to was easy and great results. worth it imho:waving::action:

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

Where does one get a repair manual for GL1200 rear shocks?
I am thinking of repairing the old ones, instead of $400.00
for new progressive 416's.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

it's in maint. man. but gamblers thread on shock rebuild should take care of you.:action::waving:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.