Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What kinda fluid should be run in an 82 Wing Standard. I have heard hydralic fliud but just not sure of it or if there is a specific kind that should be used.

Thsnks for any help on this

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure if you are asking about the front forks or rear shocks.

Front forks use a fork oil and the weight is usually 10 or 20 weight oil. Just follow manufactures specs. I'm not sure about rear shocks but I would think the same oil would work there as well but they are not easy to refill and it's usually easier/cheaper to just replace them.

Both front forks and rear shocks work on the same principle, just that forks require more periodic maintenance and are easier to rebuild.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

In the factory service manual on page 12-7 it saysunderthe headingFront Fork Oil Replacement - "ATF capacity (after draining):

1980-1981 220 cc (7.4 oz)

1982270 cc (9.1 oz)

I just rebuilt my front forks and used ATF. I am just following what the "factory service manual" says to do. Maybe some one can prove it wrong.

Edited:

ATF IS hydraulic oil. It only has a red dye in it for the masses so they can see if their transmission is leaking. Hydraulic oil is a light brown to clear color andcan go with an unnoticeable leakfor a long time. By the time most sheeple would notice the hydraulic leak in their transmission,it would have burned up the automatic tranmission.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I used Mother Honda's Fork oil in mine. It is a 1980 GL1100, and it uses 10 wt. for the front forks. Expensive though. $16.00 plus some odd cents, but plenty to do both. I would not replace them though, just put in fresh fluid after draining it well. The only difficult part is getting the top back on. a little tough, but I have lost 100% feeling in my left hand, and 50% on my right,and I done it barehanded, then torked them down.

Good Luck,

Nightrider1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.