Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I rebuilt the shocks this weekend on the 1200, after a short ride, worth the work. I will post some pics, I think I see more shock questions then anything else. Maybe help someone doing the same thing. The fluid that came out was brown and smelled burnt. Also there was less than the recommened 10.5 oz's in there. I used a hand pump to pop the seal after removing the circlip.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

this is the tool I made to compress the springs. it consists of 2 1&1/2 inch floor flanges, the top flange is bored out to 2.125(approx. 2&1/8 inch diameter). the bottom flange has a standard plug screwed in to hold the shock end. the threaded rods are 3/8 by 16 allthread, 2 foot long. I double bolted the top flange with grade 8 nuts and hardened washers. The drive nuts are grade 8 with 2 greased hardened washers to reduce galling and friction. use at your own risk, but it worked for me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

make sure you pump the damper and turn it horizonal to drain the old oil, I washed everything but the damper in simple green. I just wiped down the damper. this area is where I think some people make a mistake. if you scratch the area where you pry out the lower circlip, it will damage the outside of the seal, resulting in a leak when you reinstall it, so clean this area up with crocus cloth or fine emery paper.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

ok, so you put the spring seat back on the damper and it should seat on the small circlip on the damper body, then load the springs with the plastic seperator on the large spring. small spring inside.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

almost forgot, install the plastic guide bushing from the bottom before compressing the springs, it helps to keep the body from tilting. thats the gray ring right above my hand, push it up into the body.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 204 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.