Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 204 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
imported post

then loosen the nuts to uncompress the springs, as soon as the topmount gets close to the body of the shock push it down and rotate it to engage the 2 keyed flats, once you seat it and engage the flats you will only be able to rotate it slightly. then loosen the nuts to release tension on the springs. wa-laa (as the french would say).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
imported post

next, install the 8mm by 1.00 thread pitch bolt in the air line hole and turn the shock upside down. remove the gray plastic guide ring and (you can grab it with pliers), fill with 10.5 ounces of atf.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
imported post

next install the guide ring, then tape the bottom of the shock near the lower eye where the crimp is to prevent damage to the seal. then grease the inside of the seal and wet the outside with atf and push in into place. next install the steel seal seat and tap it down, then the circlip.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

Excellent post. Just one question. How manyhands do you have?

I see pictures with 2 hands, :shock:.

Great Job Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Gambler... You missed your calling...

Superb job.. Excellent pix..

Thanks.. Renegade

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
imported post

also, I got all the parts from Bike Bandit. they had to back order the rear shock springs, but they got them to me in about 8 days. I think progressive may be selling off new old stock and they may not make them anymore. I tried to buy the tool but they don't make that anymore either hence the homebuilt tool. the seals and bushings from bikebandit were original honda fwiw.

after riding for 2 days, I like the firmer ride, better control, less wallowing in sweepers. I haven't put any air in the front or rear and have not bottomed. also, the ride height is actually a little lower than stock springs with air. maybe a 1/2 inch. I recommend them, control is everything.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

Its so great to see someone using thier noggin and inprovising. Well done! Now on the next installment,,,,,, show us how ya fixed the cat. I know in the old days folks would stuff a tomcat headfirst into an old cowboy boot and "snip-em" just like a steer or hog, but with a tom, it's best to runaway quickly.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Gambler, Thanks, that is a great job, like they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

:12red::cool:

Dean

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
imported post

an update. I took the gf for a ride up to the mom's house and it felt like the bike was off a little. so I added 35 psi to the rear shocks and that made a major difference to the ride quality. one up and no air it was firm(maybe a little too firm), now two up it was harsh, but with the addition of air it was much more supple. soft, but with control and no wallowing. I hope that helps if anybody was thinking about doing the same thing.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

Very nice! I received an extra pair of these shocks and am not sure how much oil is in them. Is it possible to empty out the old oil that is in these through the air line hole then just refill with 10.5 ozs. the same way, through the air line hole?

Mike

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
imported post

Theron wrote:
Very nice! I received an extra pair of these shocks and am not sure how much oil is in them. Is it possible to empty out the old oil that is in these through the air line hole then just refill with 10.5 ozs. the same way, through the air line hole?

Mike
I believe some guys on the forum have done just that. might take a little time.

21 - 40 of 204 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.