Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 204 Posts

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

Excellent job!!! I was worried about attempting the job since this is my first bike. Thank you very much! :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

Oh, by the way.... I am thinking you should get a new vet! Went in a cat came out with a cone attached to her head! :grinner::grinner:Is that normal? :dude:

Here is some mana for you!!!!

Chris

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Nice to see you back Gambler, there's no doubt you're the champion at illustrated, blow by blow, on your engine overhaul and the shock rebuild!:clapper:Every time I do anything in the shop I either forget the camera or get to dirty to use it.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
imported post

Hi guys, I lurk unless I have someting to add. the wing has been my primary transpo since it hit the road. rain or shine. good thing about ca. you can ride year round. rubber down.:)

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
imported post

Wow Gambler, I don't know how I missed the first time it was posted. Excellent job. This one is saved in 'My Goldwing' folder. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

Another pat on the back for the answers to questions I hadn't yet thought to ask, I'm embarking on same job on '85 Aspencade w/19,000 mi. (recent purchase). One other picture would have me speechless, if a picture's worth a thousand words, does anyone have an exploded view of this shock? My Clymer Manual is good on lotsa other things, but not alotta info on shock guts. Thanks, Philbert Nutt

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
imported post

Theron wrote:
So what did you use to bore out the top foot flange?
I used my 1946 logan lathe. but you could do it with a file and hacksaw, it's not that hard and the hole is already close to the right size.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

Theron wrote:
Very nice! I received an extra pair of these shocks and am not sure how much oil is in them. Is it possible to empty out the old oil that is in these through the air line hole then just refill with 10.5 ozs. the same way, through the air line hole?

Mike
I have tried this,turned the shock upside down and drained into a Pyrex measuring cup, took about a day to be sure all fluid was out.Refilled using the spout from a qt. gear lube bottle and just threaded it into the hole until sealed, then cut the bottom out of same bottle andpoured 10.5 oz ofATF in and left alone for another day. Haven't gotten it on the road yet will let you knowthe results.

Philbert A. Nutt

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,158 Posts
imported post

How the hell did I miss this great post from Gambler :baffled:

Well done Gambler :clapper:you certainly are a real "Guru"

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
imported post

philbert wrote:
Theron wrote:
Very nice! I received an extra pair of these shocks and am not sure how much oil is in them. Is it possible to empty out the old oil that is in these through the air line hole then just refill with 10.5 ozs. the same way, through the air line hole?

Mike
I have tried this,turned the shock upside down and drained into a Pyrex measuring cup, took about a day to be sure all fluid was out.Refilled using the spout from a qt. gear lube bottle and just threaded it into the hole until sealed, then cut the bottom out of same bottle andpoured 10.5 oz ofATF in and left alone for another day. Haven't gotten it on the road yet will let you knowthe results.

Philbert A. Nutt

has any one else tried this with any luck ?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Hello All, I've been reading the forums for a few years now and decided it was time to join.

I have an '82 Aspencade and the rear air-assist shocks are giving me problems. They don't hold air, and I'm not sure if any is actually going into them when I pump them up. I've opened them up once to change the oil (there's no internal spring in these) and they went back together fine.

Could the compressor be leaking somewhere, even though the gauge on the dummy tank shows the air pressure building up front and rear? Could I be losing air out the front fork seals?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Kerry
'82 - GL1100A
Kingston, Ont.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site GW82I! :waving::waving:

Probably the best way to check would be to remove the hose from one of the shocks and see if any air is coming back that way. The gauge shouldn't show any pressure building up in the rear shocks when one it disconnected either. Assuming those checks perform as expected it might be time to get out the soapy water and brush to check all the joints and fittings for air leaks. BTW make up bubble water for the job using bar soap, it works lots better than detergent.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

Winter project went on it's maiden run last weekend and 16 yr. old dotter says it's much smoother than the '84 we're used to. Maybe it needs the shock fluid changed, too!?!

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,158 Posts
imported post

GW82I wrote:
Hello All, I've been reading the forums for a few years now and decided it was time to join.
Hey GW821 :waving: [shadow=orange]Welcome to The Worlds Greatest Goldwing Forum.[/shadow] :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

You sure dont do things in a hurry :baffled: anyway take your time and have a good look around this place :2finger:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

41 - 60 of 204 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.