Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 204 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

Now I know I made the right decision when I removed my shocks and had my local shop put the progressive springsin for $20, That's a lot of work!

Greatjob andgreat pics!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
imported post

I see that BikeBandit.com also has thoseProgressive shock springs for the GL1100's. Has anyone replaced them? Is it the same procedure as shown here for the 1200's? My left rear shock is already leaking oil and I've already bought a pair of replacement seal's from Honda to do both shocks. If I'm in there replacing the seal, I'd like to replace the springs too.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

jcgribks wrote:
I see that BikeBandit.com also has thoseProgressive shock springs for the GL1100's. Has anyone replaced them? Is it the same procedure as shown here for the 1200's? My left rear shock is already leaking oil and I've already bought a pair of replacement seal's from Honda to do both shocks. If I'm in there replacing the seal, I'd like to replace the springs too.
did you manage to change your rear springs on the 1100?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
imported post

I still have not rebuilt my rear shocks yet. Waiting until Jan or so as I'm still riding it back and forth to work. I still haven't decided whether to replace the little inside springs or not. I might just by new Progressive's instead. But I'd still rebuild my original oneswith new seals and then sell them.

As for the $20 to put in new springs,a localbike repair shop (in Lawrence,KS)quoted me $225 to rebuild the stock shocks with just new seals.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Ok I feel like I am beating a dead horse…since this thread was posted almost 3 years ago but I have some questions.

First, the manual says 8.77oz of ATF but Gambler says the recommended amount is 10.5oz…why the difference.

Next, is ATF really heavy enough oil for the shocks. I know when I used ATF in my forks (which is recommended in the Service Manual) it road like a pogo stick, I actually used 15 weight in my forks. Is 15 weight ok for the rear shocks?

Finally, I am not rebuilding the whole shock…I am just replacing the seal…so can I just make sure the old oil is out and just pour the specified amount in the shock and put the seal back in?

Thanks in advance,

Cerfer

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

Help from Italy!
I bought this Aspencade 85 from a friend,but rear shocks bumps everytime I hit a pathhole.Guess there is something wrong inside.
The air won't stay in.must chech that too, but I would like to open tye shocks and change seals(while I am there.
Is there any of you guys in the mood to supply me the parts needed? I will wire the money first,of course, and then the pieces can be put in an enveloppe and sent via air mail to Italy.
Is this possible,I will take all the risk.
I want to have my bibe up and running to Sardinia his summer
Thanks for all tips....anyway
Lucio

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

thanks gambler for this post. just did mine not bad at all except for all the other crap that started since i put her down for maint. man she don't like to sit. anyway great job you really made this job easy thanks. have you any electrical tutorials:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::action::waving:

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

Hi.
I am getting mad on where to find these two
"" slide the black rubber bumper "" not listed in the honda fiche.
What are they there for and where can I get them?
Lucio

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

I looked in my service manual and cannot find the term "black rubber bumper" anywhere in the shock area.
Can you be more specific. I know it may be alot but try to type the whole paragraph in here so maybe someone can figure it out.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

there is no rubber bumper inside the rear shocks, , if you have followed gambler's photo's, which are good pictures and easy to follow, you should be good to go, are you just changing the oil seals and boots, or are you stripping the full shocker,

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

i think he's talking about bushings top and bottom, posted on other thread and was directed to bikebandit:action::waving:

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

I am stripping the two shocks.Bought the two oil seals from Dutch company-very efficient!-and if I knew how to attache a picture, I would like to send one of the bumper with the piece of rubber, so you boys know what is all about.
Lucio

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

saioro wrote:
Hi.
I am getting mad on where to find these two
"" slide the black rubber bumper "" not listed in the honda fiche.
What are they there for and where can I get them?
Lucio
I think you are talking about the rubber bushing that rests on top of the shock around the shaft. If that is it, they are there to keep the shock from hiting bottom.

(Rubber bumper)

81 - 100 of 204 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.