Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 204 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

thinks for the info guys, I just rebuilt the rear shocks on my 1100 and they are working great, holds the rear of the bike up and no more bottoming out. hardest part was getting the eye pulled lose and unscrewed from the damper rod at least it was until I made a tool to compress the shock then it was pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

great information, but how did you blow out the oil seal? what did you use? its hard to tell from the pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

you can use a bicycle pump or carefully use air compressor and air nozzle, put screwdriver thru shock mount hole and rag around to avoid flying parts and oil. good luck:action::waving:

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

One more tip...Use old motorcycle and bicycle inner tubes to slip over the machined and chrome shock parts to protect them from damage. I also used pieces of inner tube to cushion the shock ends when I put the shock inside of the spring compressor.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,902 Posts
imported post

Excellent!!!

I varied the design a bit. I bought a 2 inch flange and cut the barrel of of it so that it was flat. This allowed the head of the shock to pass through easily.. One day this week I will be rebuilding the shocks on my 1100 using progressive springs. I'll take plenty of pictures. I may even shoot some video.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
imported post

This is awesome. I have 2 sets sitting here. Put 416's on mine when I bought it. Im thinkin about using one of the sets for my construction of my trailer. Should prove to be a better ride than leafs!

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

This was great wish I would have known about this posting before. I spent alot of money having some one else do what I could have done.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

jcangny wrote:
This was great wish I would have known about this posting before. I spent alot of money having some one else do what I could have done.
:15red:Welcome to this Great Site!:12black:
Pull up a chair and join on in!
:stumped:Got a Technical question on your wing:stumped:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/
:baffled:Got a General Motorcycle Question:baffled:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/
:bowing:Most of all we're glad you joined and:bowing:

:action:look forward seeing you on the forums and on the road :action:

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

poppped my shocks ready to put back together . where does the thin wire circle clip go? it,s a821100a.the haynes manuel doesnt show it.does it go above themetal bush into the groove in the shock body?Thanks for the great info on this site.:bow:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

Hello, and thank you Gambler for a great posting. I have a set of shock that I doubt have ever been serviced and they will hold air about a day. If I do not change springs what am I looking at to get it air tight again? If it is the same amount of work then I might as well suck up to the banker for the $60 for the springs.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

It's probably and o-ring or something in the air supply system. Also check the Schrader valve in the filler stem and also the compressor parts (if you have one). Use soapy water in a spray bottle to wet all of the connections in the supply system. It's a good chance that it's a cracked o-ring in one of the connections.

101 - 120 of 204 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.