Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 204 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

This is great stuff. What I have not been able to find anywhere is a list of what seals are needed for a rebuild. I have two sets of shocks for my 1100A, and a set of progressive springs, but I don't want to start until I have all of the seals, etc,. Can anyone tell me what seals or guides I need and a good source? Bike bandit has a limited list of available parts for the rear shocks. Thanks

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

Bike bandit should have the seals, o-rings, top and bottom bushings. Hopefully your shock boots are in good working order. I recently bought my parts from Bike Bandit. They have prompt delivery and I love the fact that they use a service manual picture for their parts identification.

The two circlips, metal shock guide and thrust washers are usually in fine condition and don't need to be relplaced. I always replace the upper and lower rubber shock mount bushings because of deformaties and deterioration.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

Thank you very much. Exactly the info I needed. If you ever have any questions about the movie construction industry, just ask.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info and great pictures. I just got though rebuilding my shocks with the new progressive spring. Why is the spring in the center so short in the progressive springs? If it had not been for your pictures I would have sent the new springs back. It just didn't look right. So thanks again. Safe riding.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

This springs are made with thicker material, which are stiffer overall. They don't need to be as long. When you replace your fork springs with the Progressive springs, the shorter length actually make it easier to reassemble.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

hey guys,newbie goldwinger here,i,ve done the seals and changed the oil ,like in the pics

great instructions by tha way,all went well,rode it all summer,ride still not right,i'm suspecting i need springs.....can anyone tell me which progressive kit was used!!!

from what i can see on the progresive site says 03-1364b/c 140/190lb

thanks

Denis

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

cant give you #s but i got mine @ dennis kirk, but check bike bandit and cycle max ohio, {very highly recommended]

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

Great Question. I can't find the number on any of my information. I am confused by the Progressive website in regards to the numbers you have used. Those part numbers offer a choice of chrome or black paint. These springs are surrounded by the shock body and are not visible, not something you would chrome or paint for that matter. I couldn't find a real table on the Progressive website that gives you a choice between spring rates on the GW.

My suggestion would be to contact one of the parts houses, I've been happy with Bike Bandit, and see if they even offer you a choice in spring rates. Good luck and please post what you learn.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Thank you for this very helpfull article - It made the overhaul of my 83 GL1100 shocks very much easier and she rides like a baby now.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

thanks to the pics on this post i will be replacing my springs with progessive,bought the materials to build the shock compressor and will be starting soon,but i have a question on that was asked on a previous post.......i have changed the oil and seals last year,i have used aft to refill as mentioned in the post here,has any one used 10 or 15wt oil instead of atf???????? ....trial and error a pain and a lot of work...would save alote of blood and sweat if someone else has tried

thanks

gl1200 newbie

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

by the way guys ,i got the # from progressive ,i was recommended to use their 03-1364b/c springs,they are 140/190lb per in.rate.........application --rider 210 lbs
pass. 135lbs plus some luggage...they are $85 canadian for a set
if this can help some one else to choose

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

i was confused also,s they are surrounded by the body,,,,
so i went with the black,they were cheaper.....hope to get theme in soon,so i can start rebuilt,they are on the bench
still have to get my floor flange bored out for that fancy home made tool......will give updates

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

i finally figured out the proper spring kit for the gl1200
here in canada we have a supplier called Motovan...
here are the progressive part# they are gold colored kit #76-1172 and i also used the progressive seal kit #76-5041
which gives you the main seals and the 2 upper eye seals
once you split the upper eye from the top chrome shock cover
hope this helps
ps if any of you ottawa area guys need the jig to compress the shocks ....just e-mail me...i made one exactly as in pics above

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

WOWWWWWWW I was told the forum was good but I`v got no words all I can say is THANKS A LOT Gambler this weekend we will follow your pics step by step nobody can go wrong with help like that
Thanks
Manfred :bowing

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

I am about to under take this and i had downloaded a PDF with all the institution, and then i see that it liked to HERE whoo hoo, where can i buy all the seals i need to do this, ATF i can get local, i am going to buy the springs from bikebandits, i also wanted new eye sleeves any help woudl be great. did you also write a how to on the front as well? i am doing my forks with progressive as well someone had said videos as well?

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

just look at my previous post ....you can use the same seal kit from progressive.....the eye sleeves i got from honda
and the front seals are coming from honda also......

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

I am debating whether to do the rebuild or just put some 416's on.

The bike is an 84I and has 35K miles. It rides kind of hard, never bottoms. I think it should have more Caddy and less Corvette feel.

What I need to know are the following:

1. It appears the dampers are not rebuilt in Gambler's procedure. Are they rebuildable or do they need to be replaced?

2. IF I can rebuild the dampers where can I get piston seals and valves?

3. Given the age and mileage is it likely the dampers need to be replaced?

4. If I am not replacing the springs inside do I need to do an entire tear down or can I just replace seals and fluid (as per service manual) and have the same result as anyone not replacing springs? Is that sufficient to restore a Caddy ride?

5. Does the shock oil that resides in the air chamber get recirculated in the dampers?

As always, I thank you. If you ever need a HI FI question answered I'm the man.

VT Bikeman
84I Wing
86 Elite 250
Homebrew 50cc bike - for sale. PM me!!

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

its up to you if you want to rebuild.......price out 416's
rebuild a lote cheaper.....$80 can. for spring kit ,$25 seal kit x2......$10-15 aft oil.......i did try changing oil last year...but 1984 with 95km,springs probably original
i went with rebuild

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

How did it ride after? Like new? I've only ridden one other wing so I don't know what it is supposed to feel like. I assume a lot smoother than it does now.

I took 1 shock apart as per these direction. Oil seemed thicker than ATF, which might account for the harder ride. It looks ok inside.

Any one know how to judge the dampers? Maybe the fact that I had a relatively hard ride would mean they are OK. I'm in the dark here and don't want to do a whole lot of work with mediocre results.

I'm leaning toward getting Progressive springs from all the posts about how nice they ride.

It's not so much about the money, I just want to get it right the first time. OK, my sights are set a little high, I admit.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

can't say any thing about the ride yet....still to much snow on the ground....feels good in the garage,firm....i will post when i get it out.....te way it,s going, mighht be able to test drive in a week or 2

121 - 140 of 204 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.