Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi. picked up some shocks for my 84 gw. the manual call for atf oil in the shocks themselves. my other shocks leaked when i removed them, the new ones don't
seem to be leaking. question how can i tell if there is any oil in the newer shocks? and if they need oil can i do it myself?

thx for the help

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Gumby, the problem is really not finding out if there is oil in them, it is finding outhow much is in them. Since you didn't fill them, I would turn them upside down and pump the oil out through the air tube hole. Then refill them through the same hole with proper amount of oil.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
imported post

hi thx for the reply. how do i remove oil? by pushing down on the springs? and how much oil do i add to each shock? what about the seals??

scot

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Gumby , I made the assumption, you did not wish to replace the seals. If that is the case, you can get almost all the oil out through the air tube hole by pumping the shock while inverted. I would leave them inverted over night for a good draining. Service manual calls for 8.62 oz. of ATF, since you are not disassembling the shocks, I would recommend only 8.5 oz. in each shock. If you wish to do a rebuild or simply want to get all the oil out and get everything cleaned up, then the cahuna posted an excellent artical with step by step and pics.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

hi jack have been trying to find the article from cahuna on removing or rebuilding
the 1200 shocks.. havent been able to find on the site..

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Gumby, the artical the Cahuna posted shows rebuilding a shock from an 1100. The differences between the 1100 and 1200 are minor. If you are planning to rebuild, then be sure you have a heavy duty set of snap ring pliers. The ring is large and strong.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

you could click on the web address in my last post, or cut and paste it.,,

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Yes, seeing that this forum is on shocks, I have my 85 Aspy since new and it has 73k on it,there doesn't seem tobe any leaks andit doesn'tbottom out. But the oil in it is old [85] and I often wonderhow much oil is left in them? Do I go by the old rule, if it's not broken don't fix it, or change the oil if there is any left? Old Hawkeye. :D :)

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
imported post

If they are not giving you problems...don't touch them. Sometimes I don't even follow my own advice:cheeky1:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.