Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long has it been since you had to buy shoe strings? I remember when you would have to replace them long before you needed new shoes, now when my shoes wear out I can use the strings for something else. Is it the shoes wear out faster or are the strings better than they used to be? Used to have shoes resoled too , now the uppers come apart and the soles are still almost like new. I had a pair of boots years ago I had the soles replaced 2 or 3 times. Haven't had a pair of work boots last more than a year since the 1970s.

·
Premium Member
12,700 Posts
I think the strings are better now. I wear RedWing Irish setters ankle length shoe/boot. They haul my 200lb self arounf for about 2 years before replacing them. The laces might last a year , but thats getting tugged on an tied every day .
It's been a really long time since I had shoes resoled.

·
Magic Moderator
4,333 Posts
Haven't had a shoe lace break yet on either pair of boots I own. Insole inserts are where my problem lies, not enough cushion when you like to walk. I have a pair of Mil-spec boots from Walmart they are brown Interceptor boots that are US Army approved.

·
Administrator
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the strings are better now. I wear RedWing Irish setters ankle length shoe/boot. They haul my 200lb self arounf for about 2 years before replacing them. The laces might last a year , but thats getting tugged on an tied every day .
It's been a really long time since I had shoes resoled.
I've been wearing Ariat hiking boots for a long time because they are comfortable. I'm still wearing a pair after a year and they are coming apart but the soles look like they have never been walked on and the laces would probably hold my weight. I walk over a mile in them every morning and then what walking I do all day.

·
Premium Member
56,368 Posts
The thing that gets me with tennis shoes is the shoe string is long enough that no matter how big you make to loops the ends still drag on the ground.......

·
Registered
450 Posts
I used to go through boot laces, all the time. However, in the 80s I switched to Red Wing fireman's boots that had a lace in zipper. The boots would go two years, with one zipper change at a year or so. Now days I usually wear some kind of side zip "tactical" type boots. My current fav is a Rothco model where the zipper is longer than most, so even easier to get on and off.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JZDLAJS
No where near as tough as the Red Wings, but way lighter and I have less need of steel toes anymore. Laces last forever since I only have to tie them every few months or so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts