Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been looking at GPS units and there seems to be a hundred separate options. It seems to me that every unit does the basic "enter a destination and it will take you there" option. I don't really need to be able to type in where the nearest BBQ joint is but what I do want is this... I want to be able to plug my unit into my computer and enter a route that "I" choose from some online maps, not the fastest or least congested or whatever but the roads I put in. Then I want to hop on the bike and bring up that trip and it guides me over the route that I provided. Now, what unit do I want?

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

You will get varied opinions on GPS units, I use Garmin Quest, Nuvi 250w, 750w, & Streetpilot 2610. All refurbished & bought on ebay. They will all do what you want & use Garmin software to plot your routes. The Quest is weather proof, but has a small screen, not real easy to input data, when plugged into your computer it acts as an antenna & you can use a laptop as your GPS ( not on your bike) If you do a search on the forum you will find loads of opinions to help you. Cheers & standby for more info. :action::action:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

What you need to do it buy one, in your price range. No one will be able to tell you if it suits your needs, but you. I am on my 3rd one, because my experience got better, and my needs changed.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

If you plan on using it on your Aspencade you may want to consider looking for a GPS that is waterproof. I agree with 96Aspencade on the refurbished units I have had a Garmin Quest, a Quest 2 and a StreetPilot 2720. All refurbished units, never had any problems with any of them. Discontinued units like the StreetPilot 2720 are inexpensive and go for about $150.00.

You will most likely have to get a mounting system for the bike and a wiring harness. You may also want to consider a screen protector. After that its all a matter of personal preference.

Good Luck

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Being able to load my own route into a GPS would be nice. I have a Garmin c550 and I don't think I can do that with it. I always had a Atlas with me and would just have it direct me from one town to the next and then the next and so on. It would vary in directions when choosing "fastest route" or "shortest route" along with the options of Highways and toll roads etc. It takes some playing around with it, but it worked for me. And as the rule goes,,,,,,, Don't put your complete trust in it;)

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

They have been advertising them for the past two days on sale everywhere here in Florida.

Today being the big sale day and GPS's getting so popular, they flooded the market. I saw some for only $75.00.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I agree on the StreetPilot. I have the 2610 bought refurb on ebay. Its waterproof and can hold the whole US and Canada on a 2gb card (comes with 128m). With the MapSource DVD from Garmin, you can put in whatever route you want then upload it to the 2610. Its a nice piece for under 200 and get a mount from Ram-mount for your bike. I also agree you'll get a lot of different answers. Do some research and read reviews on whichever one you may be interested in. With the 2xxx series being discontinued Garmin isnt releasing anymore maps (from what Ive heard), but I just got the 2009 mapset from them, and its pretty current. We had a new overpass constucted and it was finished early this spring and its on there.

My two disc-shaped-copper-coated-pieces-with-pictures-of-a-dead-president-on-one-side

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,135 Posts
imported post

I've got the 2730 which I also purchased refurbed and it has worked flawlessly for over two years.

It is similar to the 2710 & 2720, just a few options that are different, it has XM radio which may or may not pull your chain. I thought would be a "nice to have" feature, but never did subscribe to XM. :baffled:

I've since bought 3 more Garmin units, all the Nuvi series for my wife and other family members. I always do a search on the web and buy the cheapest one I can find. ie, I just entered 750 gps 4 days ago, and found a 750 Nuvi gps at $198.00, that's well below the original price of 6 or 7 hundred bux. Let others pay the heavy depreciation for the "latest and greatest".

I once bought a Magellan and soon got rid of it. Hated the menu system. It always found the place I wanted to go, but for me, it was a piece of trash.

You will soon figure out what you want. Buy low price first and get used to how they work. After a while, you will soon know what is important for you. That first one can be dedicated to one of your "around town" vehicles or turn into a gift to someone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.