Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all. The wife and I have a short 4 day trip planned (1500 miles) coming up next week. The forcast looks pretty wet so far. It' a week away, so could change for sure. That made me wonder. Do any of you cancel trips like this, or re-route based on weather forcasts or do you just plan the trip, prepare for anything and just go anyway. I am very interested to hear your answers.

We use to have a lake cabin and at time we would stay home if the forcast showed rain. Seems that 75% of the time it ended up raining at home and we would hear how perfect it was at the cabin :X

Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

Watching the forecast before a trip can drive you nuts. I always do. Those 10 day internet forecasts continually change.

I’ve never cancelled a trip but I have changed the direction due to the weather forecast.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I should probably qiut looking at the forcast. Bad thing is, I need to put in for my vacation days by this Wednesday. Oh well...I'll wait until Wednesday and ee what it looks like.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I don't trust anything more than a day or two out on a forecast.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Red and I take long motorcycle touring vacations, and it's impossible to plan those by the weather. Get yourself a set of Frogg Toggs raingear (true marvels of contemporary technology), line your boots with plastic bags, and take along a can of Pledge furniture polish and go anyway! We've actually learned not only to tolerate the rain, but to sometimes enjoy it. Rain is not unnatural; hiding from it is....

The Pledge, by the way, is for your helmet shields and bike windscreen (which should be short enough to see over). Once you get a nice thick coat of Pledge on your screens, rain water will just skitter off. I also have a new pair of gloves with a permanent squeegee embedded in the thumbs! Makes it easy to wipe off the drops if you need to..... Oh, almost forgot: we also carry a big golf umbrella for walking around when off the bike. Harley guys might laugh, but then I laugh at the water dripping off their "tough guy" bandanas! In short, if rain threatens, why not go anyway? Someday we'll all not be able to go at all....don't waste any trip in order to stay dry.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

MNSNOWMAN wrote:
Hi all. The wife and I have a short 4 day trip planned (1500 miles) coming up next week. The forcast looks pretty wet so far. It' a week away, so could change for sure. That made me wonder. Do any of you cancel trips like this, or re-route based on weather forcasts or do you just plan the trip, prepare for anything and just go anyway. I am very interested to hear your answers.

We use to have a lake cabin and at time we would stay home if the forcast showed rain. Seems that 75% of the time it ended up raining at home and we would hear how perfect it was at the cabin :X

Thanks for your input.
> I ride almost every day of the year, most of it commuting for work. I used to listen to weather radio, but eventually adopted the attitude that I "Prepare for Everything"... eg Carry rain gear all year long, so that I'm always ready.

> I find that the weather predictions are near-worthless, for purpose of trip-preparation. Sure, if there's a huge storm coming, then I will try to avoid it by re-routing; stopping early for shelter, etc... Yet for "normal" weather conditions, I just hit the road and deal with whatever I encounter as it happens.

> The most useful weather info for me is the Weather Street site, which gives a "big picture" overview of the entire country, in terms of precipitation and temperatures.
http://www.weatherstreet.com/

> This site is also very useful for Long Range Trip Planning... Type in the name of the city that you'll cross through, and it shows Weather Averages... useful for timing your passage:
http://www.city-data.com/

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

We just suit up and go.

That being said, we also have the right riding gear for rain.

We just came home after visiting pcfix_3 and drove home in a toad soaker.

We stayed dry due to the wet suits.

I say go for it.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
imported post

There is a reason I call them Weather Guessers. I believe a weather report when I step outside the door.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

As CJ said, get a set of Frogg Togs (well worth the $$) and just go.
Start looking at forecasts and you'll never leave the driveway.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

Motorcycling is an adventure. Adventurers take what comes and deal with it. The truth is, the most memorable trips, the ones you talk about and laugh over for years to come, are the ones where things did not go as planned.

The years my son was in Boy Scouts, only one trip was canceled due to forecast tornadoes, many others are still talked about all these years later. The ones no one ever mentions are the ones where everything went as planned, including the weather.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

All great comments and useful information. I know that years ago (20+)when I had my first wing and was in my young twenties, I went on long trips and never even really thought about a thing. Now with the wife riding along, maybe I over think it all. We were/are very excited about the plans and hate to cancel. She has the frogg toggs and I also have a good Milwaukee suite. Was just thinking about some covers for the boots. You suggest bags inside the boots instead? Also, will the pledge not eventually hurt the windshield and tuen it white? (Just curious). Cousin Jack. I like the gove squeegie idea!!!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

MNSNOWMAN wrote:
All great comments and useful information. I know that years ago (20+)when I had my first wing and was in my young twenties, I went on long trips and never even really thought about a thing. Now with the wife riding along, maybe I over think it all. We were/are very excited about the plans and hate to cancel. She has the frogg toggs and I also have a good Milwaukee suite. Was just thinking about some covers for the boots. You suggest bags inside the boots instead? Also, will the pledge not eventually hurt the windshield and tuen it white? (Just curious). Cousin Jack. I like the gove squeegie idea!!!
> Don't need bags inside your boots (I used to do that on sport bikes, but the wing does not spash water onto my shoes)
> Pledge does not harm the windshield.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
imported post

If you wait for the weather you'll never go.........Plan your trip and enjoy it..If it rains it makes for good story telling after.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

I have ridden through it all.Sun,rain,hail and snow.Always an adventure.Cant recommend the snow and hail though.

A little rain wont cause you to melt.Just suit up and ride.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

I did concrete work for ten years. I learned early to not watch the weather forcasts. If you listen to the weather you will never go.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Just GO!! :readit:

Be prepared for the weather and enjoy it .... even if it's raining. If you don't have a full face or modular helmet, get a clear face shield that fits your helmets and of course some rain gear. Makes riding in the rain a pleasure!

If I waited for 4 days of clear weather, I'd never get to go anywhere! :?

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
imported post

I've left home in rain to take a special trip,rode several states under clouds often on damp roads and missed all the rain .... and then there's bneen times when we got caught in dangerous down poors and had to find shelter .... or just a pull off to wait it out in. Once on BRP had a group in bad weather, no shelter, get in pull off on mountain and watch as lightening struck near by.We just stooped down as near ground as could without laying down in the sveral inches of water.

And then there are times when we took the car instead because of forcast. Not bad, I love road trips by MC, Car, even PU. I just love riding the road .....

It just depends on the trip.

Wife has had some health issues with panchrias and GI tract so the longer the trip, the more likely we go by car. Had her in ER at Alamagordo once at midnight, very glad we were on the car that time. Once we were leaving with group on 3-4 day trip, leading thegroup, turned back 40 miles in because of pains. The rest went on, we came home, that night she went to ER here at home with panchriatitus attack.

Now our 10 year old Yorkie Pom has health issues and looks like she's not going to be able to handle warmer days or real cold days on the bike either, so for now trips more than a day likely will be in Fall /Spring / or cage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.