Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

We've had an 1100 and two 1500s. Putting them on the center stands was never easy but doable. Not so for the 1800. I CANNOT do it! I"ve thought about getting a Power Park but instead of spending almost $200 I'm thinking of shortening the factory stand. I have a friend who can cut and weld it.

My question is, how much do I need to shorten it? Can anyone help? Has anyone done this?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi peter and welcome to the forum i cant help you with the measurement if you go to cut it you would be looking at making your own ride on stand other wise you still have the prob of getting it up, there is a technique where you apply your weight down on to the foot part of the stand and then rock the bike back holding the handle bar grip and pulling up on the passenger grab rail if you could manage the 1500 you should get this one as the 1800 is much lighter i am only suggesting you get a mate to hold the bike with you re practice until you canget the hang of it in case you are afraid of dropping samei see bob has the video link piece of cake

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Peter and a warm welcome to the site, good to have you on board. :waving:

I too have had the 1100, 1500 and now an 18 and I am really surprised to hear you say you find the 1800 the hardest to get on the centre stand, since I find it way easier thena the previous two. I put a ride on ride off stand on my 1500 because I found it such hard work to bring up on the stand, but I have not felt the need to get a ride on ride off for the 1800. :baffled::baffled:

I can only assume one of two things, either you are much taller or shorter than me, ( I am 5'11") or you are just applying the wrong technique.

Which ever is the case, I wish you luck in resolving the issue either by learning to put her up in a way that is eaasier or by modifying the stand.

Enjoy the forums and please visit often. :waving:

By the way, when you get a moment, if you can fill in the details of where in the world you live, it is nice to know where members are and will help with replies from folks who are local to you.

:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Wow, thanks everyone for the great, quick replies. For the record, I'm 64 years of age, am 5 ft. 8 inches tall. I also have emphysema which makes about two tries at getting the bike on the center stand my limit. I smoked my last cigarette July 24, but that was like slamming the barn doors shut well after the horse were over the horizon and gone. My lady and I have been riding for 36 years and I plan on riding till the day I need oxygen. Since getting our 1800 a year ago this month, have put 22,500 miles on it.

I watched the video sent by RetiredInTime (as am I) and it blew me away. I must admit I've been trying to lift the bike vs. the technique shown in video. I live 30 miles N.E. of Tampa Florida and it's dark now and the bike is covered with rain coming in tomorrow. But, you can bet your sweet bippy I'll be trying the technique in the video. Thanks again to everyone.

I'd like to post a photo of my lady and I on the bike but am new to this forum and have yet to figure out how to do it.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I have looked all over the web for dimensions for the standard ride on/off center stands. I have found nothing and do not think that information is published as general knowledge as most likely there has not seen to be a need for it.

I think the only way to find out would be to call someone who sells the shorter ride on/off stands such as wingstuff and get the name and number of a manufacturer.
Then call them and get the center line from the center of the stand to the support feet measurement. Then measure your existing stand and cut it down by that much, by cutting a section of the drop tubes out, leaving the support feet alone as their angle is also very important to the ease of operation of the stand. As would relocation of the foot lever be.

Kit

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

If you shorten the stand the foot lever is not going to match up with the indention in the muffler. Have you tried pumping the suspension up to max before putting it on the stand?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Kit, thanx for the research. Will try the technique in video tomorrow and if that doesn't work, will probably shorten the stand the first of next week. Best I can see we'll remove the support feet, cut the tubes back to the foot lever and then weld the support feet back on. That will cut approx 3/4 of an inch off (haven't measured it yet). It should work. If it doesn't then I've totally screwed the pooch and will have to shell out for a Power Park.

Sure do appreciate all the people responding.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Peter and welcome to the forum. Another possiblility you may consider. Replace the rear tire with a 70 series instead of the 60 series. It is much easier to put on the center stand and the 70 series corrects the speedometer.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Jack, my speedo reads 3 mph faster than actual according to my GPS; will a 70 series correct that?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Well Peter, you sure didn't waste any time in sorting out your profile details and inserting a good piture in the Avatar. :)

There are a few people on here that do have the Powerpark or similar, centre stand and hopefully one of them will spot this thread fairly soon and be able to give you that necessary measurement for the stand hight and maybe also the details of any alteration of positioning that the foot lever might need, so it doesn't foul the exhaust or anything.

As I said, I did have a Powerpark stand on my 1500 and I did like it very much. There was next to no effort required to get the bike up and down off it. If you did decide to go down the route of buying one, I doubt you would regret it. The only downside to one that I found was the ability to turn the wheels for cleaning purposes was pretty much out of the question, since the tyres touch the ground with a Powerpark. The only easy way to give those wheels a good spit and polish is to move the bike some.

Removal of the wheels for tyre changing would be a bit more restricted, but when the time comes, one would only have to place a wooden block under the stand to raise her up a bit and since this isn't necessary too often I don't see this as a problem.

Mysummaryofthe Powerpark is that they are well worth the money, if you like the convenience of easy on and off parking, or like yourself have good reason for needing it.

One last thing about the Powerpark, the paint finish on the black painted version is not too brilliant and regular touch up paint is well worth the effort.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

The 70 series tire is approximately 2 inches larger in diameter. That may account for the length of the centerstand. I've been wondering about that myself.

From what I've read, if the 70 series tire is used, the speedo error goes away.

Someone that has done this could confirm it.

Daveo

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

I run a 70 series on my 1800 and for Peter, the center stand is a breeze. It does correct the speedometer. Between 40 and 90 the speedometer agrees with my GPS. At 110 the GPS reads 108. Close enough.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

There is another trick I saw a while back which also works.

What the guy did was weld a tube to the centre stand extension, and he had a piece of tubing that fitted in to it and added leverage, it was also arranged to be a little bit further out. I think he kept the tube in his sidebag. It seemed to be very easy for him to get the bike on the stand.

I think the tube was something like 1/2" NP schedule 40, and the socket part was obviously bigger.

As I recall, his problem was an arm or shoulder injury that prevented him from lifting much with his right arm.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

jackjohn- I wondered why Honda has indicated a 60 series tire for the 1800 in all their documentation when it seems that the 70 series: 1 Corrects the speedo error, and 2 makes the center stand easier to operate???

Have you noticed any change in gas mileage? I would think that it might register the same on the odometer, but now it might be more accurate?

I checked the 70 series on the dunlop site and it's a fraction of an inch narrower than the 60 series. Not enough to notice, and it's about 2 inches larger in diameter That means that the bike will sit up 1 inch higher and give you that extra lift distance to get it on the center stand and... (get this) it has a deeper tread depth! too!.

Here is the link to the Dunlop site:

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=91

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Pump your suspension UP and then try the method on the video ,it will pop right up for you ,If you have your suspension set low then it makes it a lot more difficult to get the bike on the stand ,,I am the same height as you and I find it effortless putting the 1800 on the stand ,If you cut your main stand it will not match up to the exhaust pipes when it is up ,So think before cutting ,You can buy a ride on ride off stand for the 1800 ,But try the method in the video with your suspension up first ,Ciaran

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
imported post

I took the level of the floor down by 1" where the stand sits in my garage. now so easy to put on stand you would not believe it.:waving:

Keith/

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

Peter

Do not know if it is any help I have a 1500 and have fitted the ride on/off stand and can finally get the bike on the main stand. I could not before I fitted it.I am the same height as you and 58 years old. The new stand is approximately 35mm shorter that the original, I have no doubt that as everyone says it is all about technique however I could not work it out for the 1500.

I hope you get it sorted

Terry

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

wexy wrote:
Pump your suspension UP and then try the method on the video ,it will pop right up for you ,If you have your suspension set low then it makes it a lot more difficult to get the bike on the stand ,,I am the same height as you and I find it effortless putting the 1800 on the stand ,If you cut your main stand it will not match up to the exhaust pipes when it is up ,So think before cutting ,You can buy a ride on ride off stand for the 1800 ,But try the method in the video with your suspension up first ,Ciaran
I did the tour of the Honda plant a couple of years ago and one of the things I saw was the person who took the bike (1800) and did some tests on a completed machine, when he rode it back to the assembly area he sat astride the bike put the center stand down put it in reverse and the bike popped onto the center stand. This guy was fairly tall so that might have something to do with it and of course he was very proficient but I though it was neat that it actually could be done without getting off the bike and straining to do it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.