Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I've got plently of travel space between the tire and the fender and I need to lower the bike about 2". Have any of you done this with shorter shocks, if so what shocks did you use?

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I've never seen this done, 2" would make it very close to the ground. Have you considered taking some material out of the saddle instead?

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

I lowered the back of my naked 81 2" with Progressive 412-4233C shocks. They are a bit soft so I find I run them on the max preload setting. I did a lot of research on all this and since there are not lot's of choices in the 11" length I think I made the best choice as far as progressive choices are concerned.

I lowered the front about 1" too and I like the way the bike looks rides and handles. I have not put the center stand back on yet, I must shorten it a bit first and it was the first thing to drag on twisties too.

The bike used to have a Dunlop- (I think a D404?) on the rear and I replaced it with an S11 last spring. It is a great tire but it is bigger (same size rating) and the tire will scrub something in rear fender once in a blue moon if a 150 lb passenger is one with me at 205 lbs. I don't usually ride this 2 up- I take the 93 if going with a rider.

You can go to the Pregressive site and start looking around, you will find a load of great info there on suspension. I have often read elsewhere of people buying 11" VTX shocks and putting them on older GW's such as 1000's and 1100's.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

As GWNorman mentioned, many riders found that removing some foam from the drivers saddle area can help. Some even narrow the seat some to make it easier to flat foot when stopped. I have heard that someowners have the original foam in the drivers saddle area replaced with newer foam that makes the seat lower, and more comfortable.

Shocks can be expensive, and IMHOchanging the height of the bike brings many other issues you will have to live with.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

mdbauer1962 wrote:
As GWNorman mentioned, many riders found that removing some foam from the drivers saddle area can help. Some even narrow the seat some to make it easier to flat foot when stopped. I have heard that someowners have the original foam in the drivers saddle area replaced with newer foam that makes the seat lower, and more comfortable.

Shocks can be expensive, and IMHOchanging the height of the bike brings many other issues you will have to live with.
Both of the 2 above suggestions are what I had to do as well as a very good pair of boots with thick soles & 2" heels. With my Arthritis this worked well until I needed to ride 2 up so I have now gone with a Voyager trike kit butnow I need to lift Baby by 2". Just can't win. I have been unsuccessful in my search for longer shocks. Progressive says there is none that are longer than stock.:shock: I know that's not true so I have to look elsewhere. Maybe Skyjacker:D:D:D:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

WINGSOUND.....

I'm looking into lowering my naked gl1200.....you mention 11" VTX Shocks....i wanna do some measuring before buying anything... Do i measure the body of the shock or stud to stud on the bike????

this maybe a stupid question but i'm sure i'll save me time and money in the long run
Thanks to anyone who helps.........
Jeff
Ohio

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Center of the stud hole on each end is the measurement spot.
and I have seen shock bracket "extenders" a short flat iron piece that pulls the shock back a bit so the angle is greater there by lowering the bike..but I don't remember if it was a homemade mod or a commercial adapter???

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info RB, The bracket extenders you describe seems like something i could fab up at a buddies shop, after a few beers and some head scratching. I really didn't want to replace the air shocks either so that sounds like the best option......thanks for the feedback............great forum!!!!

Jeff
nekked '84 GL1200

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.