Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone tried a shorty windshield for the GL1100? What kind of wind protection does one lose (or cooling does one gain!) ? Are they commercially available or do I have to cut one down to size? What about no windshield at all?

I'm thinking for summertime riding, instead of installing a vent or side wings...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

hossners wrote:
Anyone tried a shorty windshield for the GL1100? What kind of wind protection does one lose (or cooling does one gain!) ? Are they commercially available or do I have to cut one down to size? What about no windshield at all?

I'm thinking for summertime riding, instead of installing a vent or side wings...
Shouldn't be too expensive to get a piece of plastic and make a shorty for test purposes, cheaper than cutting down a full sized one.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Try JC Whitney.com

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I cut 4" off my shield so that when I look straight foward, I can either look down through the glass or look over the top without having to move much. I get more breeze but it seems to buffet my wife more. That causes me to catch more "wind" from behind.:D:grinner::goofygrin:

I also added the wind wings from JCW and installed 4, count 'em, 4 pop-out aircraft style vents in the windshield. Now, I get circulation or I can shut them all and stay warmer if needed.

Hobie

I'll comeback with an edit with the addy for the vent distributor in a minute. They are cheap at $10 a pair + shipping.
Here it is: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/snapvents.php

I got the 3 1/4" ones and they do add some relief. I installed 4 as I didn't realize that they came as a pair instead one at a time so what the heck, I may replace the shield this winter anyway. Looks kinda strange though. Takes about 10 minutes a pair with a good hole saw.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

hossners wrote:
That might not be a good idea. The windshield is pressed hard to the rubber strip. Taking the screen out might see loads of rain water getting into the fairing electrics.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
hossners wrote:
That might not be a good idea. The windshield is pressed hard to the rubber strip. Taking the screen out might see loads of rain water getting into the fairing electrics.
I think Ted is right. Better a very short shield than none at all. :waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

One good reason to keep some plastic in the windshield slot is that if you take it all out the garnish is going to be pretty loose. So at least leave something in the slot for the clamp to sit on. On this subject, has anyone tried riding without the windshield? Wondering how much air deflection you'd get from the fairing alone.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
I cut 4" off my shield ...
How did you cut the windshield? I've heard the wrong tool can cause chipping.

Thanks for all the advice, fellas! Thinking I'll cut my current shield down quite a bit, then buy a new regular height sheild to put on when the weather gets colder.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
imported post

I cut down an old windshield. It helped a ton. I used s hacksaw and taped the cut line with masking tape. I did not do as good ajob - the shape was a bit off, but it helps a ton! I just supported it a lot and then dressed the cut edge with a fine file. I thought about a pc of (a HD friend did that), but the old windshield did better.

Please post back and tell how it went.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

When I put the 1500 vent on my 1100 I cut the hole with a jig sawand a 24 tooth/inch blade. Put some duct or masking tape on the bottom of the saw to keep from scratching the windshield. I would draw a line where you want to cut with a permanent marker and put tape on the other side of the windshield, along the line to help reduce chipping. My saw is a variable speed (most are anymore) and I slowly applied trigger with a little forward pressure. At some point the speed and pressure combine just right and the cut becomes very easy to make.

If you look back a month or so I made a post with pics on how I did it.

My windshield is short. Only about 18" from the top of the windshield to the top of the mounting hardware. I have never ridden with a taller one so can't give you a comparison. I look about 2" over the top while riding. I get some buffeting when following traffic but not to bad. I have thought about getting a taller windshield but am afraid I would miss the air in my face during the summer. A taller one would be nice in the winter though!

Bob :11grey:

·
Village Whack Job...
7,902 Posts
imported post

I recently went with a friend to pick up a wing he had just purchased. It had no windscreen on the fairing. I ended up riding the Wing home. My Wing is a standard so it has no fairing and no windscreen. And to be honest, I didn't notice much of a differenece in the amount of wind on my face and upper body, now down around my hips and belly seemed a bit less windy but I can't be sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.